Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Delta

3807 portlights won't fully close

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Carver88, Oct 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Carver88

Carver88 New Member

Hi there!

I have an issue with my forward cabin portlights (both port and starboard) and the forward head portlight. Whenever I try to close my portlights I can't close them fully since the twisting latches (I presume they are also known as "dogs") block the window from closing fully. I have tried sliding them back and forth and gently banging on the window frame to get the window to close but no success.

Is there a way I would be able to remove just the part of the window that is inside the boat without taking the whole assembly apart from the inside and outside? Or is there a way to remove the twisting latches to reset them?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you
  2. MAV

MAV New Member

I'm trying to figure out how this could be happening. I don't see how unless there is play in the latch but if there was, you'd be able to move the latch enough to close it. Are you sure it's the latch that is preventing it from closing?

Do you have screens in all of your portlights? The screens make it a lot more difficult and require more effort to close them when installed the wrong way. The screens have little tabs on one side to keep them in place. Are yours on the inside of the fixture or the outside. If they're on the outside and the screen frame is on the side, it will make it much more difficult to close. They are designed to have the screen frame on the outside of the portlight, that's why so many 3807's have the screens missing. When a tab lets go, the screen falls in the water. If the screens are in the wrong way, you really have to push hard to get the glass in far enough to be able to turn the latch.