Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

3807 Galley Counter Replacement

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Thisisit, Jul 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Our Seaward Princess range/oven combo finally bit the dust. Replaced it with a glass cooktop--no oven. Don't need it. Now the admiral was suggesting we replace the countertop and adjacent surfaces to bring the ol' gal into the 21st century. I'm able to template the counter and hopefully have it built by a company and then install it myself. Has anyone done this and are there any tricks or traps of which I need to be aware? Thanks.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Watch the weight of the material. Knew of one guy who put in granite and got quite a list.
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

No, it won't be granite. Probably engineered with melamine finish.
  4. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Corian would be a great material to consider, if you are a little handy it's a DIY job!

I have it on all horizontal surfaces inside my boat, except for the kitchen countertop and back splash, I used a solid wood IKEA kitchen countertop sheet...
  5. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Hmmm, interesting. The problem with our vintage of boat is that once you change out one horizontal surface, you need to do the others so they match. I'm handy enough for the templating and install but not looking to forward to the bottom line. Also, I have the lower helm surfaces as well. Maybe an updated veneer on those ones.
  6. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

P46....Did you buy the sheet and template the counter yourself?
  7. P46-Curaçao

Yes, I templated it myself, bought the Corian sheets at a local store, but the work has been done by local (cheap) craftsmen.

After I see them doing it, I discovered that it was a pretty easy and strait forward job, just saw, glue, route edges and light polishing. They did my whole boat in less than half a day...

Example of the corian:
    IMG_20140914_120803.jpg
  8. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I didn't think it would be that easy. I may now consider corian. Thanks for the pic
  9. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I made the templates and took them to a guy. He thought I was nuts, nothing was square. He made the tops as he THOUGHT they should be, not by the templates. Took him all day and a lot of trimming and fitting to install. There was some cursing too.
  10. P46-Curaçao

That guy should not think, but do his job... hopefully you didn't pay him for the wast of time...
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

P46, you are right. It was an agreed on price, hence the cursing I suppose.
  12. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I replaced the galley counter top and covered the stained teak and mirror with backsplash. New sink and faucet. My son took one of the cupboard doors to school with him and copied the profiles, making two new custom doors to cover the area under the new glass cook top where the oven space is. Lots of new storage now.
    I removed the counter, and the rails, copied the pattern on 3/4 maple ply. Laid new formica and replaced the rail with new. Did the upper ledge as well and the dinette table. Thanks for all the tips and ideas.