Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

38 Riviera Restoration

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by homer1958, Nov 19, 2009.

1. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Carolina Flair?

Well not quite, but close... back in the 60's, most boats of the 36-40' class were about 12 feet wide, Roamers were about a foot wider so ahead of the times.. (Std. today) But, the 41 was 15 feet wide... very unusual indeed. I love the 41.. much larger vessel for only three feet more in length and they were considerably more pricey back then. (OK.. enough new photos for today.. stay posted as we add and grow this thread.)

Attached Files:

2. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Bridge dash...

Custom made in my parttime... real Sappelle with several coates of clear.. today complete top is mahogony wood veneer... 3 coats of epoxy, 7 coats of Dupont 7900s automotive clear.

Attached Files:

3. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Cool....

Well, bye bye windows... glassed in 3/4 inch mahogony and added a 10 pound opening brass/glass porthole.. Open her up underway and get a nice strong breeze... more bright inside too as we added a new cast aluminum hatch in the bow. No chance of a leak anywhere, stronger too. The interior is now a double bed with a large built in chair as well as several drawers. Wait until you see the custom bow lounge we will put here.

Attached Files:

4. homer1958

homer1958 Member

But I want to see some stripes...

A Roamer must have it's famous 60's stripes... would you own a 1969 Chevy Chevelle SS without its hood stripes.. same thing, same era.. just like the Cobra 427.. and Yes, the 1969 Roamer engines were 427 cobras.. that is what she came with. They said it did 34.. we only saw 33.. Dad wants his money back :)

The striping is very tricky.... takes quite an eye.

Attached Files:

5. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Don't forget the Royal Blue stripes..

Stripes were big back the, 427 Cobra, Chevelle SS, Donzi, Magnum, Cigarette... and of course, your Roamer... no stripes, no Roamer. Note the progressive striping.. not so easy to do by the way... at least to get right.
  6. homer1958

homer1958 Member

OK.. More Stripes...

Stripes

Attached Files:

7. homer1958

homer1958 Member

First time outside..

Please don't rain!

Attached Files:

8. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Let's throw on some wood....

Stainless strips bye bye.. Mikore via Africa.. here we come.

Attached Files:

9. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Roamer wood

Unless your Roamer was well protected, usually under the wood corrosion will or can start, partiuclarly in salt climate. Chris Craft did not seal the wood underneath and why the plugs start to pop varnish... it is moisture from underneath! You can see the Dauphinite raw wood in this photo. Also, the absolute best bedding compound is not 3M 4200; it is Skikaflex 291 lot mahogony color... this stuff is really great!

We spent $600 on new Sappelle Mahogony and used the old toe rail as templates. Three coats of Maas epoxy then 7 coates of Dupont 7000S Chromaclear automotaive clear, sprayed in two sessions sanded between then rubbed out. Yes, it is like glass, and yes the whole boat was covered in "Sharkskin" during spray.. same as autobody work... fine indeed and all chrome is re-dipped tripleplate, all posts electro-polished. All post holes were over-drilled and screw molded with West/Silaca molding... water can't get in... no way.

Maas and Dupont Chromaclear have good UV value.. if you do not use the right UV.. you will lose your epoxy. Chromaclear repairs with ease as well.. it's thje perfect product to spray your wood with if epoxy based first.

Again, I have seen so many people buy Roamers and not do the proper things in terms of restoration; Roamers are not Puerto Rican Mildew Tiki Barges so please do it slowly and well. Remember, if you walk into an old boat and it smells musty, this is mildew and it is not healthy.. any more than it is in your home. Roamers should never smell musty, they are not wood or water-logged old fiberglass... they last forwever if you take care of them.

If you do not take it down properly and build back, all you have is an old stinky boat. BUT, if you go at it and really go at it, a classic bullet-proof gem is waiting in your Roamer. People will gaulk at your boat in amazement... meanwhile a 400k Sea Ray goes by some poor goober is paying $1000 a month for forever... and nobody cares about common clorox bottle floaters that everyone else has, nothing special... herein lie your opportunity. Roamer hulls are faster and roll less too!

Attached Files:

10. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hi
    One quiz what has chris-craft for color on the carbin top,our have more yellow in the white I belief its orginal from the factory.
  11. homer1958

homer1958 Member

White

No, white.. it is white... does not matter what factory did.. so long ago. I was at factory at age 13 in Holland Michigan.
  12. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Okey
    hope i can get a "color list" from you ye I have understand she have been i yours family long time. nice shall copy your restore you have a great job.
  13. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Paint Mixtures

http://www.mariner.org/library/chris-craft

If you can contact the Mariner's Museum in Norflok VA and give them your hull number and a few dollars they will send you a complete history of your exact boat, the original sales documents and eveything about it. The original stripe was probably mid-dark green, it was not blue. The museum purchased the Chris Craft archives so have the complete history of your exact boat.

If you need parts, I know where to get almost any part.

I would not use the same paint even if you can get it because it is old technology. I would use either Sterling, Awlgrip or Alexseal. Alexseal is the newest technology as it gives you the hardness of Awlgrip but is easier to repair than Awlgrip. Do not spray this paint yourself... it is highly toxic and subject to drips. Do the preparation you want yourself with proper instructions but it is worth hiring a pro to do the spraying.

My colors are really a great shiny combination.

Awlgrip "Vestal" White
    Awlgrip "Royal Blue"
    Deck is nons-skid 55%% "Bluetone White" mixed with 45% "Vestal White"Five parts course grit sand w/ 2 parts fine sand (Awlgrip has proper sand product) mixed with 75% flattenig agent (Awlgrip product as well)

The chemist who invented Awlgrip is the same chemist who formulated
    Alexseal to improve on the "problems" with Awlgrip.

Yes, I know Roamers very well and this boat has been in the family since new. Did you know the famous crazy motor cycle stunt man "Evil Kinevil" and trial lawyer, F. Lee Baily both owned Chirs Craft Roamers?

This is for professional sprayers to spray... most of the work is "preparation".. actual spraying only takes a few hours.
  14. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Flashbacks...Nightmares...

I woke up yelping in the middle of the night with a real bad nightmare.... here we were, back to where we started... it took a few minutes to realize it was a just a real bad dream. Reality set in and I then realized that the two 163 galllon fuel tanks were empty and all we have on board is cheap wine.... it probably will run on it though. After a job like this, there is not much left... it helps to be a bit nuts.... normal people would be way too smart to get into a project like this.. but somehow, certain captains like a rehab challenge... isn't challenge a big word for dumb thrill seeking adventure? Ya know, when I look back the the early 70's and compapre it to today... we really were a much more wholesome nation, one with deep values. For me, this represents the apex of America's good times... it just is not the same anymore.. but this old gal fakes you out... turn on a little Bacharach, Cole, Elton John "Honkey Chateau" or The Who "Who's Next," and Geez.. you could swear you're back in those days.... few divorces, jobs earned by merit not quota and a government that actually serviced and supported its own native citizenry first and foremost.

Batman, The Ponderosa, The Stones (Flint and Rolling) "Get Smart," Atrie Johnson finding every thing "Very Interesting" while Goldie bet "Sweet Bippies." You thought your parents were fogies because they listened to Como, Miller and Darcy... but I got to admit.. "Herb Albert's" Whipped Cream" appealed to all of us. Remember that Hottie jumping out of the wedding cake with the sultry whip cream finger polishing her lips?... Oh yeah, a bit racey for the times, but so cool. These were the days of "The Sound of Music," and Julie Andrews my first crush. I sure would like Mary Poppins to babysit me now, Oh yeah! I'd throw out my computer, big screen and microwave to have those days back.

We were so lucky many of us Americans and did not even know it... Remember? And, don't forget "Blood Sweat and Tears," a group that reminds me of this restoration. Was it worth it... Ya know, in retrospect "YES"... We preserved a great American product, a tradition built built by Chris Craft... a trophy to it's founder Christopher Smith, the father of marine mass production. He was to American Boats what Henry Ford was to American Cars. The Roamer represented Chris Craft's "Top of the Line" and what I believe to be America's greatest era.... as we kids turned-up the Beatles our parents demanded we turn those kettle banging bowl hairdo-headed Hippies off. Meawhile mom would secretly call her friends when Tom Jones hit TV and quivered housewives nationwide... "She's a Lady... oh Yeah Yeah She's a lady."

Little did we know that we were young in perhaps America's greatest days... This is what a Roamer means. She's a Lady, look under her hood and you'll find two big ones. She's classy, but understated... all there. Warm her up and she'll scream, let her cool- off comfortable to sleep on too... a nice comfortable sleeper. She earned her place in history and today performs as well if not better than a young gal. Who else thought so? F. Lee Bailey, Evil Kinevil and Bill Bixby.. they all spent many memorable nights on their Roamer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  15. homer1958

homer1958 Member

She's a Roamer... bad girls need to be anchored!

If you look closely at the wood, you will see the new Sappelle Mahogony I busted arse on. Three coats of Maas Epoxy, 7 coats of Dupont Chromaclear 7900s sprayed and buffed. She's is all dressed up... pearls please...

Note the Anchor Roller being installed.... checked Windline and a bunch of them and thought they were El-cheapo. Nice highly polished stainless anchors were horribly expensive. So I got online to DongYing China. I could not believe what they made for her custom. A beautiful 22 pound mirror polished stainless steel roller and a 35 pound 316mirror polished plow anchor. See it being installed today Dec 3, 2002. Dennis was amazed at the quality... He too wants to know where to get this hardware so reasonably.

The King Plank we made. Cost of the anchor from China $160.00, the Roller $99, the quality real nice (Yes, I was worrried about Chinese quality, but they did "GOOD"). Everyone wants to know who made it so reasonably? Well, shoot me an e-mail, these people have a large online hardware catelogue that makes Perko look like Garbonia. In USA, that combo would cost you around $2500. I was not going to pay that... way too much... e-mail me if you want to know where to see the online catelogue.

It's nice to get the anchor off the deck.. real tripper and a waste of space otherise. One more thing.. if you note, I have looked at a lot of Roamers.. "the devil is in the details".... see how clean the white deckline is where it meets the wood. Well, if you are going to do your deck, use 3M striping tape if you want a tight clean line or you just get that "I painted it with a broom look" but saved Five bucks. Can we elevate just a bit.

I do not mean to be a snoot.. but everytime a Roamer is well-restored it only brings up the value for all Roamer owners. Seems to me, many Roamerfiles are the type that would fancy a 427 Cobra in the garage too... The height of American pride, the 60's... Racing Stripes, 427 Fords, muscle cars and beehive doos... How cool is that? .... No avacodo and shag carpeting though.. gottta draw the line here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. homer1958

homer1958 Member

But who's the maidan Captain?...

Time Out... FLASHBACK!

First, I wish to thank each of your who write daily such nice and encouraging private messages regarding this thread. Many thanks and they come in worldwide. I have a philosphy, it is simple: "Do it right or don't do it." Her first Captain shared the same philosophy.

But who bought this Roamer new? Why did he buy it? What did he do?
    He was a Georgetown Law grad, trial attorney admitted to the bar in NY, MD adn DC bar all in one year, an 8th Airforce B-24 Bomber pilot and decorated POW shot down on his 24th mission by Messerschmitt 252 jet fighters while bombing German ammunition dumps... retired Lt. Colonel.

But why did he want a Roamer? What percipitated the $40,000 purchase at Niagara Falls?.... a leftover 1969.. it was 1970.

It goes like this.... We were crossing Lake Ontario in 1968 in a 1967 Trojan... we got into bad weather... 8-10 foot swells. Those of you familiar with the Great Lakes know the fercocity of one of those storms. The Small Craft warnings were rescinded and the "No Craft" warnings were in full force.. We were in the middle of the lake in a small convoy... no warning, no escape.

Our (then) Trojan, A new 37' aluminum Roamer, an Owens and a Richardson
    we were having a real tough time.. except the Roamer, radio reports indicated they were enjoying Happy Hour. Captain Dad noted the Roamer blasting through the swells like a champ.. not so with the others including our Trojan. I was sea sick we were all sick (except the Captain)... it was bad.

Well, a year later he came up to knock on my door one Saturday morning, I was 12... (typical lazy kid sleeping-in.) He said: "Get UP"... we are drivinig to Buffalo, would not say why. So we drove one hour from Rochester to Buffalo in May 1970.

He directed me to a marina shed... inside was a brand new 427 aluminum 38 Roamer Riviera. I looked-up and thought it was huge and real cool looking... like something from a Bond flick. He asked: "What do you think of this boat?" I replied, "Geez dad.. it's cool and big." He replied: "What do you think your mother would think?" I replied: "big dad.. big... did you buy this boat dad?" Being a trial lawyer, he avoided the question (the usual)... But instinctivley I knew he did and did not tell mom... can we say: "German Control Freak."

Well, she spent her early years on Lake Ontario, Saint Lawrence Seaway, Canada and the Finger Lakes until we drove her to Annapolis MD via the Hudson and Atlantic.

Well, he loved his Roamer... never wanted a nicer one unless it was a 63' Burger which he certainly could not afford.. who the hell could!

Long story short... He passed-on recently, was ill for years and I was hoping to fly him in for his last ride. He used to say how the Roamer and its roaring 427's reminded him of his B-24 bomber "Sweet Sue"... at only 19 years old a B-24 bomber pilot. He liked Fords, after all Ford manufactured B-24's. Did you know that? He would take her out no matter how rough sometimes. I think he associated it to another bombing mission. Who was his squadron Commander?... Jimmy Stewart, 8th Air Force 703rd Bomb Group.. Yes, it is true.

Most Roamers have an interesting history, yours too or the one you are trying to find. There were seven 38's made in aluminum in 1969 and 12 in steel. It took about 7 months to build a 38' Roamer. 197O was the last year for the 38 designed in 1964, the first 37' built in 1965 and the last 38' rolled out in 1970.

Not to stray from the Romaer, but I would like to share his last pictures with you. Let's see how the United States Air force honored his service to our nation. First photo is at his 50th anniversary a few months before he passed. Look closely.. he is toasting you to restore your Roamer RIGHT or find one to bring back to her former glory.

The USAF Fly-Over flew-in from Mississippi, Reagan National shut down for 20 minutes while the ceremony proceeded at Arlington National. This Roamer Captain rests in section 60, For those of you who don't know Section 60," it's where our men from Iraq and Afghnistan rest. There he is at 84 years old, and the fellow next to him perhpas only 20. Those young men never got to tell their story.

For those of you have never been to Arlington, nothing is more humbling and the peace an quiet you feel quite special. I am tired of war. I want our "conservative" nation back and I trust you do too. None of us are entitled to what we did not earn and nobody has a rght to be here if they are going to dishonor or disobey the land and law. It's time to do something about the borders my dad risked his life to secure. There is an acronym for "PC". It is "BS."
    Please vote with this in mind next year... we have all had enough.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  17. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Cheers... Restore Your Roamer Well!

I might not be here now... but take care of your Roamer or find one that deserves your care. As Pythagoras said to Alexander: "There's no Royal Road to Geometry"

Translation: "If it's worth having.. it's not going to be easy."

Captain Roamer Emeritus

Attached Files:

18. homer1958

homer1958 Member

But what's inside?...

She was gutted. I mean gutted. Who knows what could be lurking under a 1969 Monomatic head (Revolutionary at the Time)... Well, since my photos are a bit disorganized we will shoot them as we get around to it.

At any rate, It was clear when we ripped-out the floor and everythig else that the hulll was perfect, not a bad weld, not a pockmark.. notta. She was well-bathed and painted white.. she smells very new.. The new smell.

The interior build began... I will bait your eyes first with the handmade bookmarked African Mikore table with the Fiddleback Elm trim. She nicely compresses down into her groove to make a double bed... No more taking that obnoxious table off that weighed a ton and rattled underway (You probably know what I am speaking of.)

The glassrack is lit from underneath with a small flourescent.. the leather pleated dining cushions will wind around and it will be Ya know... maybe a bit "Neauveau Greco Iti"... i.e some Erurpean flair.... about 5% Puerto Rican, but no more :)

Look closely in the center of the table and you will see a Gold Leaf "Chris Craft" logo imbeded. The table was then automotive clearcoated and buffed. If the mirror breaks you have a place to shave. The wood is exotic... you are not quite sure what it is but it is definitley exotic.

We built into the hullside depth hence the boat is about 25% larger inside now, note the curvature of the white back area.. the pleated diner will wrap around with an oval mirror behind the glasses... at night a subtle glow.

All glass is new and tinted.. tracks are new and the stainless type with the air sealing fuzzys (nothing wrong with the original plastic ones either.. both are fine)

The idea is to be as nicely appointed as a slick Limo, but sans the cheese.... all shall remain classic, a bit flashy.. not too much though.

You know what is nice about the smaller Roamers.. 41 and under? They are large enough to go anywhere and they are small enough to go anywhere... Fast, Tough and two people can manage one. I find that both convenient and cozy. Definitely not a "Live Aboard," but the ultimate weekender, picnic boat or vaction dreamer. This one has a range of 600 miles too.

Attached Files:

19. homer1958

homer1958 Member

The Goal...

The goal is to run out of pictures... No more picture means we are done! Please now, we know better than that.. "It never ends"... been fooling yourself into thinking it will?

Appears the the age old age of: "It's the journey, not the destination was etched in stone/... No not stone, Hulls. Today, not only classic powerboats, but even moreso classic sailing yachts are getting picked-up. Don't think so? Ok then, go out and try to find a good Roamer to restore. You will see there are not many... used to be, but not anymore. Aluminums are near impossible to find and a good steel is even stronger than aluminum, but you need to make sure the plating is not an issue or has been redone... or you are in for a big surprise. I have yet to see a bad aluminum one frankly. There are some, but most of them are still flying on the high seas. I have never ridden in a steel one (but would like to)... I bet if well-powered blasts through waves even better than aluminum.

The movement back to charm, history and uniqueness is well in play. I find the charm in woodless glass boats to be equivalent to sitting in a folding white plastic Home Depot porch chair in lieu of a Stickley or Hickory. Go get a Bayliner then, I heard a rumor Walmart just picked-up the franchise... can this be true? Or be real original and get a SeaRay. I have a bet going with a friend that we can count more SeaRays than Poonjobs driving Camrys. Wow... creativity off the charts.

Problem is... Labor is so high these days the only solution is to find an old girl and get to work yourself. Build a tent, find an old shed and get to "pleasure." But really it is not work or as they say: "Labor of Love." Boat restoration is akin to male knittting, it really is cathartic...quite rewarding actually. But if you have no patience, "handyskill" or work ethic swear and bellow the world owes you something, demand instant graticifation, then grab a bucket of KFC, case of Colt 45 and watch boat flicks on your porch.

Well, let's peak at the new interior design well underway... Yes, I was on a first name basis with the guys at the junkyard where I hauled truckload after rented truckload of Roamer guts to be recycled back where it came from... the earth. Now please don't mind my photo disorganization or bad typing... my handwritng is far worse. I'd be a terrible secretary, dont have much of a rack and my boat polish isn't nail. If you have a question about what is behind any wall or covering of your 37' or 38' Roamer... chances are I may know, so feel free to ask.

Son of Kraut Captain Roamer Emeritus drew this new design on napkins. He did... drew it on napkins, No joke. ("Redman" if he ever reappears? has the original first version.) No measurements per se at first just used every last inch. The inside of this gal is larger, all rounded and ya know, pretty cool... at least I think so. The factory original dropped in square cabinetry, but custom applications allow you to build into the shape of the hull... even the bow is cold molded now! We will show you that later. Remember, though Chris Craft hulls are known to be strong and design sexy, they are still production boats.

I get a charge out of it when people who do not know boats say.. "How much does something like that cost?"... My repy, all your Blood sweat and Tears... and if you can't do most of it yourself, hope you got bigbucks. Much of this was done by me, not the skilled part, but anything that only required and IQ of 69 or less was my duty and there's lots of that. Key is to get it ready to go, then hire a few Pros to polish it off right.

NO WAY can you spray Awlgrip or do joinery well unless you are a Pro who does this sort of thing daily. So, do what you can yourself, plop away over time and pay as you go slowly unless you are rich. If you are, just go get one and I will tell you on the east coast who is good. ALWAYS keep in mind the finished product and the appearrance and features you seek when you begin. It is the key to survival, not quitting and keeps you going... and it is not easy... it is not. It will test you. You will learn a lot about yourself too.

Do you like the interior so far? Or are you a purist who prefers original? My goal was to keep a fairly original exterior (with improvements) yet design an Italian type current style interior. Dick Avery, stolen from Form Motor Company was one hell of a great designer. His lines tested time and still prevail today as true classic beauties, but we did make some improvements... but again, we have 45 years more to resource how design has evolved. That's right, the 37 and 38 Roamers were desingned 45 years ago.. heck that is nothing.. they are restoring all the old wooden classic sailing yachts now from the early 1900's!.. that is if they are restorable. Some Roamers are not.. well, not realistically so do your homework. I would be looking around Michigan, Ohio, New York.. economy is weak, prices down and that's were most are. Roamers were made in the Rust Belt before America got rusty... thanks Jimmy C. and a few others I shall refrain from mentioning.

Side by Side NovaCool refrigerator, recessed triple burner Kenyon w/downdraft, Scandvik faucetts, hidden Sharp convection microwave, drawers, even a self draining icebox in the floor of the kitchen area. (By the way, this is a great place to build a floor ice chest... got about a foot under the floor.. it then drains into the shower sump, works great and this is something anyone can do as the space is there in almost all Roamers.... no refrigerator holds enough beer to satisfy my buddies. The 41 has a full size, but the 38's and under do not... add the ice box and you got more cool space than a 41!

Wondering about the headliner? It is now all 3M Thinsulate (it's expensive and I have a large roll I will sell for less) but it is the best... best insulator, sound deadener and is mildew prood "so the say"). The headliner is Ivory Ultrasuede with high-gloss routered Mahogony ribbing polished to Rolls Royce shine perfection... I did it in the garage, (sprayed with Italian ICA.. what Ferretti uses) It is on wood-backed two stage 1/4 inch foam... Real nice and done just not installed... recessed LED's from Imtra on dimmers too, just not installed... we are saving money for those hoping prices will come dowm. Check Imtra "Portland"... same as 20 watt halogens without the heat and voltage draw.. boat builders are going to these.

NOTE the half wall in between the kitchen and sofa.. looks normal right? Well await until the photo after this one. Not even Bond had one of these....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  20. homer1958

homer1958 Member

A secret agent Bar?!

You must be joking!! Well, now this is an original idea... well sort of. I would go to boat shows and dream of owning one of those Sportfish beauties... but like most of us, that is never going to happen. But, the salesman was demonstrating a TV that was moving up and down inside a coutnertop. Boy was that cool. sure some of you have seen this one... BUT,

Have you seen a bar do this?

No you have not... know you do! It is operated by an electric piston and even has a remote control button like a TV remote... so cool, each bottle is labled as to what's inside it. Here is what you do... load it with the cheap stuff for druken shwabby types, but keep the good stuff hidden. It is near impossible to know this old gal is loaded with booze, but it disappears in a flash. Martini and high ball glasses will hang upside down and the bottom of the bottles will be lit from underneath as she activates.. how cool is that?

Look closely at the wood, it is "African African" Pommel Mikore as well... the countertops are made of Avonite.. real cool stuff with metal flakes subtley ingrained that reflect night light... can we say Peurto Rican or Limolike glitz?

Attached Files: