Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

37 Bertram 6v92 550HP shaft size

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Breckster, Aug 17, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

I love the ride of my 37 Bertram. The quality / fit and finish compared to most 1980's boats is great. What year is the 40 Cabo? Things have improved much since the 80's.

The interesting thing as far as ride quality is that Cabo used the Bertram's hull for the 43 Cabo.
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Yeah, the 43 Hull was designed by Bertram's designer, David Napier and could be spotted a mile away out of the water in a boatyard. The only difference is that Cabo elected not to use the running strakes.

Maybe of more interest is they only used him once and never again, switching to Michael Peters for outside design work.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, Bertrams do ride great. The MPG sux.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Cabo did not need lifting strakes. Weighing so much less, were not required.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For good reason. The Michael Peters hulls rode much better. The 43' Cabo rolled a lot more on the troll and rode OK at cruise but was a bit wet, but rode nothing like the Michael Peters hulls. The 40' Cabo FB outrides the 43' hull in every aspect and is faster.
  7. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

Which is a newer design for Cabo, the 40 or 43?

I have spoken with someone recently who seemed to know what he was talking about saying that the 48 Ocean Yacht rides much better then the 45 Cabo. Would anyone agree?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hello no, the 45' Cabo is a great running boat, especially if you keep the aft fuel tank full by transferring fuel as you're burning it. The 48' Ocean doesn't even compare, it's not a great following sea boat at all. The 40' Cabo is a newer design than the 43'.
  9. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

It didn't sound right to me either. The Cabo looks like a great boat.

The cost of repowering a 37 Bertram with Cummins 600hp should be $150,000 - $200,000.00. How much could you get a 40 Cabo for?
  10. Breckster

Breckster Member

a fair amount more.. my 37 was and is a great boat but the 40 is a lot better in about every aspect except gel coat.. it is like comparing a muscle car from the 60’s to a 2007 Porsche 911 turbo...
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What is the cost of 8.3HO (Qscs) with complete package with gear? Now triple that. This is the start for a whole new package installed and delivered.
    Re-inventing the wheel come to mind every time I re-powered a boat. My rules above was usually close if not a lil under.
    Noah had it easy.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

That about sums it up, nice analogy!
  13. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

The 40 Cabo seems like a great boat. Wide beam, low draft. A lot of power. How is the head sea compared to the Bertram?
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Better. All of it's ride characteristics are better.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, er, uh,
    I may have to disagree with Skippy J here just a bit. In a head sea all of these boats are going to get wet, or slow and be loosing chum the hard way.
    Probably the only good thing about our ole heavy Bertrams, They will smash a head wave down and keep on going better than the lighter boats.

In any event, I've always said the boat will do better than most folk when you really need to smash waves.
    I hate when the chum (breakfast) gets spilled. :oops::oops:
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In a good head sea you're slowing down to 24 knots which is the sweet spot on those hulls in a head sea. The old Bertrams gave the illusion of a great head sea ride because they were slow to begin with (20-22 knot cruise). Slow the Cabo down to 24 knots and let her eat and you'll still have a better ride than the Bertram.........The Cabo also has better flare to knock the spray out.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I assumed the question was for rather bad & ugly stuff.
    You are the Cabo guy. I am knot. Berts don't go as fast but please re-read my last line;
    the boat will do better than most folk when you really need to smash waves