Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

35' - 38' Sportfish advice

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by 3Tailfishing, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 3Tailfishing

3Tailfishing New Member

Looking for a SF built solid!
    Price range is around $300-$400k

Boat will be used to fish off Stuart/Ft Pierce and over to the Bahamas.
    Looking for the best ride as the wife is not real sea-stainable.

DD's are preferred but not a must.

Bertrams? Albermarle?

Dont mind putting money into an older boat if price is right.
    Dont mind going a bit over budget if boat is right!
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

There are many many choices. There is a forum for boats for sale (don't think I am allowed to post it here). Type in 35-38 and you'll get hundreds of possibilities back.

One critical factor is hull design. The deep vee's are great for cutting thru bigger seas, but rock much more at anchor than a boat like mine which has a very shallow deadrise at the stern. That might be useful for your mate. Happy hunting.
  3. 3Tailfishing

3Tailfishing New Member

Thanks. Beautiful Post!
    My grandfather had one years ago and it was my favorite out of the many different SF he had
  4. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Dd's as in detroits? Why would you want detroits?

I'd suggest you buy the newest boat you can, preferably with common rail four stroke diesels. In that price range you may still be able to find something that's still got warranty left on it.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with this totally. For that price range I'd move about and beyond detroit diesels. I would take a hard look at a Cabo. I would also take a hard look at a 35' Carolina Classic if you don't mind an express. I ran 1 from Pensacola, FL to Capecod and it rode GREAT. Unfortunately in that size range and price range there is not a huge selection.
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Flybridge or express?
  7. 3Tailfishing

3Tailfishing New Member

The only reason I was thinking Detroits is that my best friend is a mechanic for DD and will be fishing with me 90% of the time and will probably not charge me a penny to work on them. This alone could save me thousands in long run

I have been looking at the Cabos. Heard a few mixed reviews tho

Fly or express is not a huge maker or breaker. Probably leaning towards express for the size.
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Big difference between Flybridge and express,,,, gotta decide what works for you
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

HUGE difference on this size boat. If going express, the 35' Carolina Classic is the best riding express I've run out of all of them, bar none. If flybridge, the 35' Cabo FB. I would skip the express as it's a bit wet, but nonetheless a very well built and capable boat. In your price range, you might be able to snag a 40' Cabo express which is another good riding, well built boat or possibly the 38' although I think it's too new and expensive still. Aside from those, there isn't any production built SF in your price and size range I could recommend or think of.

You might want to look at customs also. I ran a 1995 38' Buddy Davis SF that was a beautiful boat and had amazing attention to detail. Probably the nicest Buddy I've ever seen, and it sold for $250k, it was a solid 9 out of 10.