Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

32 Years old...too old to start?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by MAZOP, Dec 14, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MAZOP

MAZOP Guest

I am dying to start, really really passionate about it. I am willing to answer to someone a lot younger and have no problem with living in tiny spaces and sharing a room. Dont mind the long work hours either. i am basically ready to do whatever it takes. I have done a lot of research, but i feel most blogs dont keep it real: IS IT 32 TOO LATE to start as a stewardess?? most blogs only talk about 40's+, which i agree might be too late...but what about 30's?
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Pardon my bluntness, but it's also a matter of attitude, on top of age.
    At 32, you should feel like you'll live forever...
    ...but if you fear to be too old for something, you probably are! :)
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A stewardess job is extremely demanding, both hours and work load. 32 years old is not too late to start for someone that is a hard worker and very energetic. Practice waxing toilet bowls.
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Dear Madam,

In my humble opinion, 32 is definately not to old to start a career as stewardess on a yacht. But this profession can not be compared with an airline stewardess. It is a multi tasking job with much more to it then just serving drinks and food. A stewardess or steward is basically the jack of all trades on a yacht.

Table service for ownership and guests is the smallest part of the job. Cleaning the accommodations and the outside spaces of the yacht, helping the deckhands with all possible jobs like docking, helping the cook in the galley or even playing the cook for preparing the meals for the crew. Even shopping provisions in harbours might be on the list of duties.

A very good command of at least the englisch language is very important. On charter boats, additionally speaking French and / or Spanish is very helpful. Without any sarcasm or ulterior motives, fitness, personal appearance and behaviour plus presentable personal look are very important. Massive overweight for example, would be very hinderingly getting the job and even more working on a yacht with its tight spaces. Colour and nationality are no reason anymore today, except for getting the work and residence permits in some countries, depending on home port and flag state.

Internal spaces of yachts are designed with the typical list of prioryties: Owner and guest spaces first, then technical spaces like engine room, tender and airconditioning compartements and finally the crew spaces are squeezed in the spaces which are left over.

On smaller non SOLAS yachts, You may even find crew quarters without standing height and on older yachts, crew cabins below the water line without any windows. Twin crew cabins are standard for non officers, on some even big yachts, tripple or even 4-man cabins are possible. And last but not least, the flag state of the yacht, the type and area of usage (private use or charter) and most of all, the (nationality of the) ownership is very decisive.

I have presently a total number of 12 stewardesses on my EU flagged family boats. Youngest stew is 21 and the oldest is 51. But she is the purser and married to the skipper of my personal yacht and working like her husband for more than 30 years on our yachts. I can only speak of European usage of yachts with area of operation (mostly) in the Med, Down under and in the Caribbean but with what we have encountered on yachts in our neigbourhood, either on the hook or in harbours, I would not work for Russian or Arabian ownership. Their way of treating women and employees in general is below any tolerable level.

And this counts also for charter guests from these nationalities. They treat women like fair game, especially when drunken.

I would attend basic courses in onboard yacht service and general crew abilities plus yacht safety and survival courses and then apply for a job with some serious crew agencies. As sooner as You start, the better are Your chances.

Being 32 years old is definately not to old to start a Stew career on a yacht. But be adviced and as said above, it is a hard job with a lot of working hours sometimes far away from home.

Good luck

HTMO9