Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Perko

3-Dimensional seafloor chartplotting software - any good?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by yachtzee, Sep 6, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. yachtzee

yachtzee New Member

Found this site offering 3-D chart plotter - was interested to know how well it works. Seems to need a modern laptop PC - not for the homeless.

The demo works well once you load the 3-D chart and then wait while multimegabytes go into the video card - then it runs at 20 fps for the demp map (1 meter resolution, 150+ MB chart).

Question: Anyone have the registered software and how fast do the half gigabyte+ maps go (like the entire Santa Monica bay)? Also, how well does the GPS interface work?

Hopefully the link works:

3-D Chartplotting Software

Yachtzee
  2. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

I have just got it

I've just purchased Nobletec admiral that has that feature. Not taken it to sea yet but looking forward to trying it in the next couple of weeks.

Chris
  3. yachtzee

yachtzee New Member

Plotting vs. Imaging

Thanks for the info Chris.

The Admiral is a bathy contour plotter (I might need one of those too)!

The A1-Hobby package has actual visual 3-D terrain you can 'dive into' - down to 1 meter resolution. Thus the huge data sizes - and the question about display speed.

Here is a screenshot from the 1/2 gigabyte Santa Barbara map they show on the website:

The 156 MB demo works OK, I'm just wondering how well it works on the huge files.

Thanks,

Yachtzee

Attached Files:

4. Crglmb

Crglmb New Member

Winner of the 2004 Bisbee used 3D contour

Last September we installed Maptech's 3D contour software on The Reel Pain II's
    Computer system. Capt Brian Haslam said, it was a very usefull tool in landing the winning Marlin.

Craig Lamb