Click for Ocean Alexander Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Burger

2nd Attempt-Coronavirus Covid 19 and the Marine Industry

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Apr 6, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Water and pump outs are actually greater problems but there are some boats that make that trip north in the spring with fuel range or 250 nm and less.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

slow down to hull speed and double your range... if running offshore on some legs, pump out isn’t an issue.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Most of the boats I ran up and down were in the 30' to 60' range and they needed to be fueled every day (every 2nd day in a pinch) considering the rule of thirds. The gas boats barely made LI to AC or Hilton Head to Fernandina Beach, so daily fueling was a must. For them I hope people report what they find with as much specifics as possible.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Again throttle back to hull speed and get twice the range. Often when I did the runs up and down and I d see guys passing me running hard only to call it a day and docking early afternoon. I don’t continue for a few more hours and see them passing again the next day.

The difference is that I d so Miami Nantucket or back on 3100/3200 gallons each way instead of 7000+
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I once ran a 60' Sunseeker down with an owner who only knew WOT. Pulling out of Hilton Head I told him to keep the speed down and we'd pull into Pt. Pierce around 1800. Instead he slammed the throttles down. We still got into Ft. Pierce about 1800, but after a stop in Canaveral for an extra 600 gals of diesel. I especially get a kick out of the (inexperienced) guys who run hard going north from Coinjock. Of course I'd catch them in Great Bridge and watch the same fool's move bridge after bridge from there. Time is money when they're paying my fee, but prudence beats speed every time.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, don’t feel guilty, that was Capt. Holli?
    I am sure he will be back, probably busy on his farm: Some of us are hot headed, but after cooling down, back to normal, like an engine you ran hard :cool:
    Fact is we need some new blood in here with different voices and opinions, otherwise it gets stale.
    Keep it coming..
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The Marine Industry is thriving at the old Summerfield Marina.
    The grounds has been idle for 10+ years, Now there is activity, including backhoe dredging this afternoon:
    Rumor says there will be Dockominiums, or something built there.
    Info on the old Summerfield Yard:
    https://www.jordanyachts.com/2514

04DAA1D5-9502-4D63-B9DA-814620BCAEE5.jpeg
  8. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Absolutely. The potential for cascading failures is huge. Business gets in trouble, loans are called, banks get in trouble.... the crap is gonna start rolling uphill.
  9. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Plans made a long time ago. And the guy with the dredge got at least half his money up front, so he's dredging. The second half may or may not come through depending on the financial health of the developer which is dependent on closing on the older deals, which depends on the buyers still being able to get financing etc etc. When the music stops and we're a medium hotel sized dining room set short chairs things are gonna start coming apart. At some point there will be a bottom. Where and when no one knows yet. What the world will look like when the COVID documentaries are made no one knows yet. All I know is that there's a lot of bad news coming. Mostly in cash. Gonna be boat shopping soon.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We have only hope, but we have hope. We also have a $25 Trillion and growing national debt (and who knows about other governments) and a deadly virus that we don't know how to stop nor have the tools to fight (PPE. ventilators, vaccine). Truly uncharted territory. It looks very bad, but we do have hope. America and the human race have survived a lot of terrible times from 9-11 to Typhoid. The world has had it pretty cushy financially for a long time. Almost 100 years. Current generations will be tasked with rebuilding the world for future generations. We'll feel the effects of this a long, long time.
  11. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

More like $30+ Trillion debt. Current generations will have to pay down the debt or face a worse disaster than viruses. We can beat the viruses but borrowing prosperity will need to end.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The current generations have no intention of paying down this debt. Our taxes and the prices of everything will be going through the roof, and that will just be to pay the carrying costs. The debt will be left for our children and grandchildren, and probably our great-grandchildren to shoulder. We still haven't touched the debt left us from the last war. Boat owners were livid about the last "Luxury Tax". They're going to be stroking when the next one comes through, and it is coming. Where else can it come from?
  13. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Congress will
    I meant to say current and future generations. Have been against the continuous borrowing over the last several decades and felt it would eventually be our biggest problem. We will be forced to cut spending and debt at some point when the credit markets decide to lower our credit rating. This might be the "Grand Finale"spurring the "Luxury Taxes" you mentioned, which will be counter productive for employment in the boating industry along with others. Those type taxes never work. Oh, you ask where else can it come from, astounding how many people do not pay income tax in America.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know if they ever will. It seems like every country is incurring massive debt with this thing. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it. Back to the boating discussion. While I don't think it will, but do you think prices on raw materials for boat building is going to increase or decrease because of many factories being closed and etc.
  15. johnnry

johnnry Member

So on a lighter note if you all dont mind
    .Another impact of all this is woman will be looking for experienced manly men that know how to navigate rough waters...click on the attached if you havent seen,..includes a new slip knot as well...
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Between this and trade wars I think we can definitely expect the prices of raw materials (and everything else) to rise substantially. I think the industry could get hit from another direction as well, insurance (based on the other thread). If it gets more expensive and elusive that will affect sales, charters, ownership responsibilities, etc.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"Listening to (his) CB" ??? I detect a little Hollywood I there. Thanks for the laugh.
  18. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I wouldn't be so sure, because it's rather likely that at the same time a depressed demand will have an opposite - possibly stronger - effect.
    Time will tell.
  19. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I thought resin/fiberglass cost was tied to petroleum prices. So for this year one would think that cost would go down. But all bets are off on inflation after that. One would think that with all the printing of money that the more dollars are in circulation the less valuable they are, thus inflation should be exceeding the fed’s target rate of around 2%. But I thought inflation was coming after all of the quantitative easing from the 08 financial crisis, but it did not show up. Seems like these days economic rules of thumb no longer apply. How long can that last? Not forever.
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Nope, they still do.
    A QE with a depressed demand does nothing for inflation, that's chapter 2 of the book.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.