Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

22' Velocity or 25' Powerplay?

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Capt J, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Has anyone owned or ridden in an older 22' Velocity speedboat? If so, how did they run and ride? How fast can you expect one to go with a 300hp Outboard? Any negatives to know about them?
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale and being a go-fast freak, I'm very familiar with Steve Stepp's Velocity. They were built in Pompano, in the warehouse section northeast of Copans and Dixie, where Harry's Schoell's offices are located. I visited the facility several times when the 22' was originally being designed and subsequently splashed.

I was very interested in the 22' Velocity, having owned a 21' Shadow and raced a 21' Superboat previously. The hull on the Velocity was identical to the George Linder designed 21' Challengers, Shadows & Superboats, except Steve widened the pad from 6" to 12" to gain additional lift and lengthened the running surface to better straddle chop. It all made sense, theoretically.

Shadows and such are a 22 degree deadrise, 4 strake hulls that are very rewarding to drive. They can really hone a driver's skill. You can hang them on the edge of flight and they won't bite you, unlike Steve Stepp's Velocity, which is a chine-walking trip to the hospital waiting to happen.

Although I never owned one, I've ridden in a couple of them of them and raced against them too. Way back in the day, Gene Whipp, who owned a boat dealership on the west coast of Florida, campaigned a 22' Velocity to a world championship in its first year of production. This did wonders for sales, but soon after, owners realized the boat was a handful to drive. Gene's boat used humongous 36' Kiekhaefer trim tabs to stop the hull from oscillating. The rest was pure driver's skill and probably a little luck. The boat definitely handled big water better than the 21's designed by George Linder, but it was never as laterally stable.

The 300 JohnyRude's were a popular choice for the 22' and the boat was very fast. I remember one day in Miami Bay running against one in my 24' Skater (a 100+ mph boat) and I was VERY surprised the Velocity could nearly hang with me. The most memorable part of that day was watching the driver drag his exhausted self out of the seat, worn out from steering the boat.

In my opinion, I would run, not walk, away from a 22' Velocity. If you only plan to putt around and keep it under 50mph, then it might be a good choice if the price is right. If I were you, I would look for a 25 Powerplay. A much better boat. Faster, smoother, drier, more stable, rock solid and predictable. I know because I own one...

Attached Files:

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

WOT... You didn't read the rules there boyo!!

If you want to sell it you must include the price.

Or are you just whetting an appetite??
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D

$32,500 to a YF member. $34,500 to anyone else. I'd like to see it go to a good home. Here's the specs and a few more pics...

A 1991' 25’ Powerplay Sportdeck purchased from the original owner in 2003. It had 200 original hours on the hull and motors and had been stored inside a hi & dry marina. In 2003, I had the factory completely re-rig the boat with a new instrument panel, Gaffrig gauges, stereo system and 2003 Merc 200 Opti's. The engines have now 250 hours on them. The boat has always been stored indoors or covered.

Last year, I installed Mercury's new hi-perf steering system (like SeaStar, but more robust). This included a new helm and new cylinders, plus plumbing. The steering is silky smooth. The boat is perfect and needs nothing. I've had the boat up to 77 mph and it will cruise all day at 60 mph, sipping very little fuel.

It is without question, the finest example of the 25' Powerplay in existence. I've maintained this boat with an open checkbook. I recently bought a 33' Powerplay, so it is time to let a new owner have my 25'. FWIW... I have about $60,000 into the boat.

Equipment list:

• 1991 25’ Powerplay Sportdeck.
    • Twin 2003 Mercury Optimax 200hp. Offshore Outboards.
    • 3-Blade, 24” Choppers.
    • Double Axle EZ Loader Aluminum Trailer w/ galvanized steel guide posts.
    • Mercury Dual Ram, High Performance Hydraulic Steering System.
    • Momo Steering Wheel.
    • Complete Group of Gaffrig Gauges.
    • Bennett Trim Tabs.
    • Jensen Marine Stereo & Speakers.
    • Latham Split Control Gear/Throttle Shifters.
    • Full Canvas Cover.
    • Full Cockpit Cover.
    • Bimini Top with boot.
    • Tripod Ski Pole w/ fittings.

Attached Files:

5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There doesn't seem to be any list of what is going to be available or am I missing something.

I haven't booked my flights to FLIBS yet and might be interested in having a look if there is anything interesting.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

They say, - come back for the list, as it is still a couple of months to go.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I always really liked the looks of the 22' Velocity as a kid growing up in Fort Lauderdale. But I don't need a chine walking carnival ride of a boat. I had an 18' donzi classic that did 75mph and that was a white knuckled handful also. A friend of mine had a 26' Exotic with 2- 2.5 liter racing mercs on it and it was scary enough. I was kind of figuring that when the add stated it had 29" k planes on it. I also need a go fast boat (or any other boat) like I need a large hole in my head and wallet right now. LOL...I have so many boats at my disposal to use that I really don't need another one of my own. I think ideally I'd rather have a 20' seacraft with a 200hp outboard, and that would do close to 60mph and be more of an all purpose boat that you can stand up and drive.

However, the price on this velocity looks right. The gelcoat looks origional and very shiny in the pic, the motor has 40 hours since rebuild, and it has a tandem axel aluminum trailer that looks clean in the pics, along with new 1500 watt stereo, owner states it's turn key and needs nothing and asking $6995 here in the Fort Lauderdale area. I figured I'd ask before wasting my time to go see it.

I've gotten back into bass fishing and have been going out to the everglades in my buddy's 92 mph bass boat, and that is thrill enough I don't really need my own.......Also there's nowhere here to go fast, save for the ocean on a nice day or down in Biscayne Bay
  9. catmando

catmando Senior Member

You should buy the Powerplay from Carl. I guarantee you won't regret it.
  10. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I like teal green and blue. Dash is well laid out. Good speed and great fuel mileage. The only thing I would change is install a wrap around windscreen. I got tired of racer face real fast with my Carlson.

And best of all? It's a POWERPLAY. :)