Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Comfort

2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show: POLL

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by YachtForums, Sep 9, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
?

Will you attend the 2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know. I was just in St. Augustine this weekend. All hotels were packed with cars with mostly plates from the South (somewhat locals doing a beach vacation), Florida/GA/SC/some NC/. All of the touristy shopping areas totally packed.......so a lot of non boat vacationing.....odd to see the hotel that empty......
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Watching the Barrett Jackson auction live in Scottsdale. Attendance is dismal.

Attached Files:

3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Isn't the bidding mostly virtual?

Well, FLIBS is still talking a big game and others are talking about how great it will be for the local economy. We will soon know.
  4. MBY

MBY Senior Member

We moved our two boats in yesterday. The show is definitely the smallest I have ever seen but despite the small show, things seemed to be business as normal on the docks and the other builders I did talk to were looking forward to the show. Should be interesting to see how everything shapes up this coming week.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Arizona is taking it far more seriously than Florida. Weather forecast for the boat show is mid to upper 80's during the day, mid to upper 70's at night. Who's going to enforce a (legally toothless) mask mandate in that heat of people they hope will spend millions? In fact it sounds like the perfect place to protest mask rules. How many people who were at the shoulder to shoulder mask less Florida rallies this week will be at the show and not want to wear them there?
  6. YachtForums

I believe you are correct OB. It was mostly virtual, but there were bidders in attendance. Clearly they expected a bigger turnout based on the number of folding chairs that were set up. The TV screen shot I posted only captured one side of the arena. The other side was vacant too.
  7. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I wonder if that was weekday or weekend attendance? Sparse is for sure. I wonder too, if these care actions are starting to have had their run. You know too many, too often, it is not so special any longer. Who knows?
  8. YachtForums

I was watching it live on Saturday night when I took the pic. Prime auction time!
  9. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Now that is saying something. I would have never guessed that a Saturday evening Barrett Jackson event being so sparse.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They still fill up for auctions, pre-pandemic. Now might be interesting after the pandemic when people have done it virtually for a while. I wonder how bidding and sales compare.
  11. Hatterized

Hatterized Member

A friend was at the auction, he confirms yes attendance was very low, but online bidding sales seemed very brisk.
    Also said that it appeared additional staff were working the computers to handle the online bids.

Scott
  12. YachtForums

13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I noted that even during set up the regulations aren't being followed or enforced:

"An employee of one boat exhibitor, however, said Monday that he observed setup workers without masks at their job sites.

“The only people I could see wearing masks were security guards operating outside the entrance — and myself,” said the employee, who declined to be identified. “Is it going to change once the show starts?”"

So obviously it is with a wink and a nod. If they won't tell the workers to wear masks what's the chances they'll risk angering a million dollar buyer?
  14. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Probably not necessary workers to wear a mask while outdoors in the high humidity and heat as long as they are distancing from each other...easy to put one on when working close together. Not anything like a crowd of people that may be wandering around the show rubbing elbows. Enforcement will be difficult.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am a fan of wearing masks, but I don't see the need or reason to wear on IF you're outdoors and 6' away or more from the nearest person. So it's possible if someone is setting up in their company slips and nobody else around to forgo wearing one. I think at the show during show times everyone should wear one and they should make the docks directional only (one way traffic).
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm sorry, did I miss that exception in what the promoters put out assuring the attendees that it will be safe? I suspect enforcement will be non-existent and this will be a super-spreader event. Must say Florida has been getting (and will continue to get) exactly what they earn.
  17. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Amazing how many people are coming to Florida as tourist... and to live. Should we be closing the borders?
    I expect most at the show will be careful and follow the rules.
  18. Gage Rowden

Gage Rowden Active Member

I work near by and live close. It is crazy how much work is going into this. Really good to see. Nice boost for the local economy. Near where I work people are driving up and down trying to find parking. I am assuming it will get worse when it starts tomorrow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.