Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show: POLL

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by YachtForums, Sep 9, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
?

Will you attend the 2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The most interesting comment I read was this: "As a broker, I have at least three qualified clients to buy $2m-plus yachts who will be with me at the show, if we have one". If these are such sure sells why subject them to the virus when they could narrow the field and show the boats away from a possible super-spreader event? I also notice that Trident's 'Yes attending' response is close to in line with the figure here, but considerably less than the 36%-39% I would have expected given a certain person's approval rating.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Florida just lifted ALL Covid-19 protocols. All bars, restaurants, etc will be forced to open to 100% capacity inside and out and masks can no longer be required. Therefore there will be no mandatory mask wearing or social distancing at FLIBS and don't dare complain about it. It's illegal. Will that make FLIBS (and Disney and Florida in general) more or less popular? (Current infection rate in Florida is 5%, up from 2%. 39 Covid deaths in Dade yesterday.)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

South Florida is not impacted. Going to continue as we are. I might also add that while in the rest of the state, governments can't make rules, as business owners we can still have restrictions.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

From what I just heard you are prohibited from requiring masks or social distancing among your employees or customers, and if you have a restaurant, bar, etc. you must allow 100% capacity.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

You are misinformed. Here's the actual provisions...

-It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan.

-It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.

-Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at below 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification.

-Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine.

DeSantis said the order doesn’t affect sports venues and theme parks because there were no state-imposed restrictions on them currently, but each business has the ability to impose their own distancing and mask requirements.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That sounds like the long and in government speak version of what I said. All restrictions are now as if there is no Covid 19. And I believe you meant to write "above" 50%.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Take it up with the Orlando Sentinel. That's who wrote it.

Your lack of reading comprehension is not my concern. But it would be nice of you to stop spreading misinformation here.
  8. olderboater

Palm Beach County is moving to Stage 3, at least partly. Broward and Dade are not changing at this point.

One must understand that at no time during this entire pandemic did South Florida ever run in step with DeSantis and it's not going to happen now. If South Florida had waited for him we would have had far worse problems.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"-It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan."

Does that not mean they can now open 100%?

"-It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns."

Does that not mean local governments have no recourse against businesses that violate Covid restrictions?

"-Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at below 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification."

Does that mean that cities can't impose or enforce Covid restrictions?

"-Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine."

Does that not mean that municipalities can't enforce Covid restrictions?

"DeSantis said the order doesn’t affect sports venues and theme parks because there were no state-imposed restrictions on them currently, but each business has the ability to impose their own distancing and mask requirements."

And risk trouble from the Covid spreaders? Wait till a business' right to require masks meets Florida's stand your ground law.

My reading comprehension is fine. I even read double-speak, government-speak and Trump-speak.
  10. olderboater

11. olderboater

“You’re probably going to see a different approach in Southern Florida,” DeSantis acknowledged.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And how are municipalities supposed to enforce what are now just recommendations when they can't levy fines or suspend business licenses? And why would So. Florida get special dispensation and not Panama City, Orlando, Daytona, etc.?
  13. olderboater

Because South Florida has a higher level of cases and more stringent rules. As to any of the fines and closing businesses, there is nothing that indicates the Governor has the power to do what he was saying. In spite of him, Dad and Broward will continue on their own path. Won't be the first time.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I wish you luck.
    Texas 747,366
    Florida 693,040
    New York 452,847
    Georgia 311,698
  15. olderboater

Oh, it's going to be a disaster, but may not catch Texas as Abbott is much the same. I think it may doom FLIBS as cases in the state rise and people see that. It will show up about a week or two before the show. We saw what happened with spring break. Every bar that opens in Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando will bring new cases and impact people thinking of coming here. Florida deaths per million are now at 648. We have two crew who just flew home from Italy and two who flew there. Both talk about how much safer they feel there. In Fort Lauderdale most are complying but you look around and you'll always see someone not doing so. The feeling of those in the Italian boat building community is that things are far worse here than they even are. They read and see on television crowds gathering and people not wearing masks or distancing and hear people talking about masks not being necessary and it leaves them stunned.

I'm still waiting to hear from the first person outside the country who is coming to FLIBS. A definite. And haven't heard one.
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

17. olderboater

The point is NY has been declining and FL, GA, TX and many others rising. And the only part relative to this thread is the impact on potential show attendees. If deaths continue to rise in FL, especially if there's a jump over the next three or four weeks, that will impact the show. Even a rise in cases may.

Even hearing an announcement like the one today may reduce confidence or may make some think the problem is all over.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A
    Actually NY got its numbers back in the spring when nobody told us what was coming or how to fight it. Now our infection rate is under 1%. Florida's rose from 2% to now 5%+. Every day here you read of a business having their liquor or business license pulled, and schools are opened one day and closed the next when an infection is found. We're taking it serious as death.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I just listened to Desantis speaking. He said businesses can operate "at a minimum of 50% capacity regardless of local restrictions".
  20. olderboater

That's your mistake, you listened to him. You do realize he lacks that power, I hope, and that he conceded South Florida would do something different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.