Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Comfort

2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show: POLL

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by YachtForums, Sep 9, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
?

Will you attend the 2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Grateful for your words and sentiment Gratitude!
    I am of the same opinion.

As for the survey, I voted No because I am not going. But it has nothing to do with COVID or show protocol, I just don’t go to that show.

Good discussion though.

I wish you all the best, I believe that going forward and learning to live with COVID is in the best interest of not just economy but emotional strength and progress.

By the way, what if the show goes on and no one buys a boat. Why is it so bad the the show generates revenue for itself and supports the local economy?

Do you have something against boat show entrepreneurs?
  2. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

As it stands now, I won't be attending - but not because of COVID. As far as that's concerned, MASK-UP and enjoy. . Maybe some of the indoor venues will be somewhat problematic, but hell, I go to Publix, Home D, and Lowes often [have mask-will travel]. If one has underlying conditions, then perhaps they should skip it. . .

As a side-bar for RER, who went to CA and won't be attending - perhaps if the air quality continues there, he'll change his mind!!! :):);):eek:
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The larger (size) manufacturers are feeling the opposite. How do they disinfect each motoryacht or sportfish between every person that comes on board to look at one. How do they do everything. Most don't have their boats ready for the show due to covid manufacturing delays and etc. etc. etc. A lot of manufacturers are from other countries and everyone sent to the show would have to quarantine for 14 days first before attending the show or after going back from the show. Most of the ones I hear of are not attending.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We have the largest US builder and another not attending and several non-US builders not doing so. I obviously am in contact with a very limited number of people, but I haven't talked to a single person attending from outside the US. Having just flown two people from Italy to Fort Lauderdale and two from Fort Lauderdale to Italy with both couples still in quarantine, I can't imagine an Italian builder attending nor do I imagine it's easier for others. Traveling to and from Australia to the US is more difficult.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Quarantine is a definite consideration. Many of the people working the show will have to go into quarantine upon returning home. Sales can probably be set up to tele-commute, but what about crews and mechanics, etc. Will they lose 2 weeks pay or will the businesses pay for their time at home?
  6. olderboater

Is it an international boat show if no customers come from outside the US? We've got stores in Miami really missing their international customers.

We will see but it takes boats and builders and customers from all over the world and so far there's no indication that's all materializing.

Speaking of International, Lars, speak up? Are you coming?
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As almost all the shows in Europe are cancelled or postponed, I don´t think you will see many European builders at FLIBS either. It is interesting times anyway, since consumers are now adapting to other ways of making their buying decisions, from milk to yachts. Perhaps a new kind of boat shows or showings will come out of it..? Myself, I am locked in at home, but just bought another vintage boat to take care of...
  8. jet55

jet55 New Member

Although I had a great 2019 FLIBS and sold a few, I am a hard NO on going in 2020. Last year was unbearably hot and couldnt fathom wearing a mask if the conditions are the same. I sell for a few manufacturers from Maine to Florida to Australia and have not heard any news to what they are doing.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

Last week I got an email from Hatteras promoting their GT65 Carolina. No mention of the upcoming FLIBS. No "see it" or "see us" at the boat show.

Show Management website lists Hatteras with 7 spaces on F dock for 2020.
  10. olderboater

And I just got my first email from a broker with "space available." I don't think it's the only one.
  11. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

The go/no go decision will likely be decided by risk level to show goers. For people who are say under 50 and in good health, or who have already run through a bout with Covid 19 unscathed, there would be little risk in attending. I think anyone who is in a higher risk category should avoid going this year.
  12. Jrod511

Jrod511 New Member

No, will not be attending this year. The risks do not outweigh the rewards and the last few years have been very crowded and time consuming just getting in and out of the show. Perhaps crowds will be lessened this year but will not be going and hoping for a Palm Beach show in the spring; a show much more conducive to completing in 1 day. FLIBS is a much bigger event.
  13. xF_PP

xF_PP New Member

No, as long as a pandemic may hurt or kill people!
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Show management lists the origional layout map. There will be A LOT of boats that will not be at the show. The covid shutdowns ensured that the yachts aren't finished in time for the show from MANY builders. Think about it. Asian builders were shut down first for a few months, then Italian/European builders were shut down for a few months, then US builders were shut down for a few months.........Builders are having a hard enough time getting customers boats finished within a reasonable amount of time.
  15. olderboater

Foolsfolly.

That term came to my mind. I first saw it used on a beautiful bridge. The bridge was built but the road wasn't so it sat over a creek with no road to it. Someone spray painted Foolsfolly on both sides and no effort to cover or remove it was made. That became the name it was known as. Finally after 10-15 years they did build the roads, putting them where they did, mainly to use the bridge.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This survey has consistently shown roughly 3:1 against attending, which is not good for the producers or those who plan to showcase their products. Obviously the producers intend to go forward cause there's a lot of money at stake, but the definitive word will come from Ft. Lauderdale and Broward County. Does anybody know what they're saying? Does anybody know what the current infection rates are in that area? Most medical experts expect a spike from Labor Day festivities coming towards the end of this month which is right about the time the city and county will be making the decision on whether or not to allow it.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

"Broward County commissioners gave the go-ahead Thursday to allow the annual Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show to take place amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article245633560.html
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's way too early given the expected surge in cases from Labor Day festivities that's expected to hit towards the end of the month. The incubation rate is about 3 weeks between infection and symptoms. At this point I can understand a definite "No", but a definite "Yes" at this point seems almost meaningless. Annapolis had their hopes up until about 3 weeks before when they issued the No. Had they decided yes I wouldn't have expected that decision to be made until within 2 weeks. If I were thinking about attending I wouldn't book my tickets until I checked the infection rate one week before at most, and I'd check local records rather than trust numbers from the state.
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I couldn't agree more, confirming on Sep 10th that an event like this will definitely take place on Oct 28th is beyond a joke.
    It just proves that whoever is in charge to decide have no understanding of what a pandemic is, and are only making declarations based on wishful thinking.
    Not that the US is alone in this approach - the boat show in Southampton (UK) was called off the day before opening, go figure.
    I appreciate that a public statement along the lines of "we have no clue about what to do" wouldn't be much popular, but at least it would be honest.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Who is it pushing for the show and why?
    The county, tax revenue?

The dealers, just to show some boats to some people?

The marinas forcing the dealers to make a show?
    Docks, people and lots of other equipment is not free and I'm sure contracted years in advance.
    Cancellation penalties are must be expensive also.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.