Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show: POLL

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by YachtForums, Sep 9, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
?

Will you attend the 2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

POLL: 2020 Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show

The Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show has announced the show will go on as planned. They released a video detailing the precautions they are taking during the pandemic. We have many friends in the marine industry and we're concerned for their safety. Some of them will be traveling internationally and this puts them at higher risk...

Please VOTE to let them know if you will be attending the show!
    (you must be logged-in to vote)

FLIBS Poll.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. YachtForums

Statement from the US Superyacht Association...

"It is with great sadness that after 13 years of hosting the American Pavilion at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, the USSA will not be participating at this year's Show. It was a most difficult decision, but with the majority of our exhibitors choosing to not exhibit this year and with the inability to host any networking events or our membership lounge, we had no choice but to cancel our position and look forward to participating again next year."
  3. Pete ellis

Pete ellis New Member

Pretty stupid if you ask me to put on the show. It will be nothing compared to past shows and you run risks. Not worth the effort in many ways. I guess it is all about the money but bet they actually lose on this one. Only vendors will support not ultimately the consumers.
  4. C. Wetterman

C. Wetterman New Member

To be fair I have not been to the boat shows in many years however I am still an active boater. If I was able to attend a boat show and after viewing the attached video of how the CDC requirements are going to be followed I would have no problems of attending.
    If I found the conditions to be uncomfortable I would leave with no regrets.
    I have been a boater all my life and faced events more harmful to my health than being in an area with a controlled environment of a known virus. I have to go shopping for food in areas that are not to my liking but got to eat. Do your part of being safe and pray for the rest.
    Just my opinion and good luck with whatever decisions made.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I think, just for one year, we can let it rest.

With Covid around, especially in the South, a Boat Show would be a slap in the face to our Medical Services and anyone following science.
  6. chris McInnis

chris McInnis New Member

I go every year and I couldn't agree more. This makes no sense.
  7. Randykl

Randykl New Member

South Florida Covid cases continue to drop. I believe the guidelines are strong. Making the show relatively safe. I believe that attendance will be down significantly, making the show much easier (and safer) to navigate, with more opportunity for better interactions, ever with social distancing.
  8. pwharrold

pwharrold New Member

In my opinion it should be skipped entirely this year.
  9. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

I go every year and enjoy the chicken on a stick. Love it! I’m guessing that’s about as dangerous to me as COVID haha.
  10. Wade F

Wade F New Member

Absolutely will attend. Its nice to know that while the virus is real and that precautions are taken, some realize that it is blown completely out of proportion and has become utter nonesense in the way MSM is reporting it. They have nearly destroyed world economies over it. Well, the US anyway. It needs to stop so we can get back to business.
  11. upwindskipper

upwindskipper New Member

Should we not be asking the yacht owners? They fund much of the show and their crew will be face to face with the public.
  12. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Venues like the boat show will contribute to the slow recovery while we wait for a vaccine
  13. Dockguy27

Dockguy27 New Member

I will be attending. I suspect it will be much easier to navigate then in years past. Speaking from some one who had COVID and was not as bad as my 2x a year colds that I typically get. I will welcome the 75% reduction in foot traffic and hopefully find a deal or two along the way.
  14. YachtForums

I can confirm the following yacht builders will not be attending 2020 FLIBS...

Westport
    Burger
    Nordhavn
    Ocean Alexander (has reservation but undecided)
    Horizon
    Marlow
    Azimut
    Delta
    Feadship
    Hinckley
    Searay

Updated Oct 3rd, 2020

This post will be updated periodically as more information arrives.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

While Susan's post was removed before most of us saw it, thanks for quoting it for us. And, actually her comments are very relevant to the show although quite political. To me, locals build attendance but not success, not sales, or not sales that wouldn't occur regardless, not new business. How many European, South American, or Asian buyers or even employees of builders are going to fly to the US for the show with all that entails, likely a quarantine on each end of their trip. And while the US may not enforce the quarantines well, other countries will. We just flew two people to Italy this week and two home on a charter and both have to quarantine. In Italy, couldn't even use any form of public transportation to get to the villa, but fortunately those flying in took the car from those flying out.

Our pandemic environment and our political environment will both influence attendees. Look at the dates. The final weekend before the election. As contentious as things are today, can you imagine wanting to come to this country that weekend? I can say I've avoided many countries in the past at election time, just never thought we would be one of those.

Threats of tariffs add to the turmoil, tariffs by us and retaliatory tariffs by other countries.

I'd be interested in those who say they're coming, from where. How many flying in from across the country and how many from other countries? Local people in the industry attending isn't what makes for success. Even me walking less than a mile to the show does nothing, although I will not do so during the pandemic. I don't need FLIBS as I live in the middle of it, nor do I contribute to it.

FLIBS depends on brokers, on builders who are mostly not US, and on potential buyers flying in from the US and elsewhere. I don't see Europeans, South and Central Americans, Canadians and Mexicans, or Asians coming to the show. If I'm correct, the I in FLIBS is eliminated, perhaps making it FLUBS instead.

I think one of two things will happen. The show will be cancelled or it will be a dismal failure except for the show company collecting their fees.
  16. olderboater

Show isn't going to happen. I knew of two of those, but I know of three European builders who won't be there but I can't disclose them yet. Traveling between Europe and the US and between China and the US is a nightmare.
  17. YachtForums

This news release just arrived....

18. olderboater

I stick to my two things, Carl. It can not be a success.

If a tree falls in the forest but nobody hears it, did it make a sound? If a boat show is held in Fort Lauderdale, but no one shows, was it still a show?

I want to add that I do feel it can be attended relatively safely. We operate stores here safely and with the outdoors, even easier. However, people can't reach the show safely and/or easily.

Think about all the issues with just trying to travel to and from the Bahamas and US.
  19. MWY1205

MWY1205 New Member

I will not be attending because I have a pre-existing lung disease and have to be very careful to not be around large groups of people. If I did not have that I would go.
  20. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

The vote tally is showing low attendance, must be another reason to carry on? Will be safer with low attendance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.