Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

2008 64' Lightning Sportfish at FLIBS -

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by YachtForums, Nov 9, 2015.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Spotted "Still Kickin", a 2008 64' Lightning Sportfish at FLIBS this morning. I think one of YF's senior members had a hand in this build. Maybe he can tell us a little more about it?

Attached Files:

2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

The captain who I brought along on my latest voyage down the coast moved this boat to the show.
  3. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

I think I sanded all the fingerprints off my hands sanding her! While she did get what I would call a pretty complex interior, to me the more important part is all the composites we used to build her and the performance gains from them. The Divinycell cored bulkheads, honeycomb decks, Carbon-reinforced beams and Aramid hybrid cloth skin gave us a finished full wet weight of 65,000# and with 1650hp CAT C32's she topped 44 knots WOT. Did you get a chance to go aboard Carl?
  4. YachtForums

I stopped by the boat before show opening on Monday. Knocked on the hull, but nobody was home. Didn't dare step foot onboard without permission. Nice boat Bill!
  5. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Thanks Carl! A couple small pics of what you didn't see OK? Mostly of the business end for guys like Marmot and K1W1, even though it's small compared to their usual haunts, I do prefer easy to work on engines!

Attached Files:

6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The engine room is very nice and looks like the pictures should be in a magazine. Access is very good to everything. Well lit. Height above the motors is very tight, although I do see access hatches above them. I know everyone loves that Aluminum non skid plating, but man do my knees hate the stuff :)
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

That diamond plate looks to be a high gloss rubber matting made to look like "brite" finished aluminum diamond plating. You can see the "ripple" going across it by the fwd motor mount. I've used it in a few engine rooms and had good results in lieu of the high maintenance of brite tread plating plus its easy on the knee's.
  8. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

You spotted it captholi! I like that synthetic a lot more than the aluminum plate, not only easy on the old kneecaps but it doesn't corrode either.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It looks like it has held up really well also.
  10. YachtForums

The whole boat is holding up well. I thought she was a younger model until I saw the brokerage sign. Is Bill laying up hulls with Botox?
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's Boatox.
    That is a sweet looking ship.
    Yacht News likes this.
  12. YachtForums

That's funny!
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Naw, the custom SF are usually always extremely well kept compared to production boats.
  14. YachtForums

Just checked how our SEO is doing. A Google search for "2008 64 lightning sportfish" puts YF at the top! :)
  15. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Who needs a salon with an engine room that nice.
  16. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

You had to let the cat out of the bag Carl, now everyone will be copying our once trade secret building material! It does help when your boats have owners and captains who take care of their babies.
  17. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Wonder how they get a glossy finish on that rubber type material?
  18. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

It's a slightly blurry picture Brian but I peeled back the top skin on a sample I have on my desk. It's composed of a 1/8" sheet of rubber with that skin laminated on top.

Attached Files:

19. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Thanks for that posting.

Then it is a 'metal skin' laminated onto a rubber backing, .....is that correct?

Perhaps somewhat akin to that 'metal tape' the AC and heat guys use? ...adhesive backing (rather than rubber) to very thin metal skin??
  20. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

It appears to be a foil of some type Brian but I can't tell exactly what it's made of. We get it from Novicon Industries but I didn't see specifics in their literature.