Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

2007 Miami Boat Show Pictures

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by catamaran, Jan 29, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Indeed. I attended the show(s) and very much enjoyed the photo coverage here. It's always nice to see a photograhpic perspective from that different angle, not typically seen. Thanks to all!!
  2. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

...Did you say, SNOW?

I had never been to see Florida befor my trip this past January. Silly me, I thought, who would be stupid enough to bring Three sweaters to Florida?

Second on my 'go-see' list, (after discovering Larry Smith was on permananet vacation,) was Broward Marine. Again, here I was wearing a tie for an interview, like I thought this might be some swank bunch you meet uptown. (Manhattan that is.) Their boats, their yard, and especially their people impressed me. Butch, the Dock Manager, has got to be one of the finest people I've met so far.

But, guys, this interior stinks. I mean I hate to pull rank, (having never stepped foot on any yacht,) but wasn't this one featured in Architectural Digest, back in 1974? OK, I exaggerate. No egg-shaped chairs, no shag carpet. Must be from the 80's.

Fine woodwork. Marble counter tops. Practical lighting. Sweet trim. Great worksmanship. No taste. Frankly, I'm beginning to appreciate the fact that they haven't returned my call!
  3. MaxResolution

Ps:

Normally I'm more careful to check spelling. I can't edit, or post images without an up-to-date broward. This Mac is System 8.1, but it still fits my subjective matter nicely. :)
  4. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

When it comes to design and marketing of such, you need not look further than “demographics”.
    As you can imagine, the purchasers of multi-million dollar yachts are older mature people that in most cases prefer rich traditional materials.
    If you study design trends, product sales/marketing is designed and directed to attract the said “target market”.
    There is no shortage of; flavour of the day, modern, contemporary or even “disco” interiors for the Med or Caribb Yacht charter set.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t agree on "no taste", it seems to be made to somebodys taste. If we like it or not doesn´t mean NO taste.

What I would change is the handles on the doors/drawers in that passageway, since they are bound to hook on to and damage your clothes when you pass...
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

So .... Viking is serious about bringing Sanlorenzo over?
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Glad to share the photos with those who couldn't make it and those that were there and want to revisit it.
    Speaking of photos, here are a few of something called a Leopard 27. I have no info on the builder, etc, but thought it was a cool looking yacht (it was also getting late in the day and very cool, actually downright cold by south FLA standards). I was not given permission to shoot inside this one, so took all shots from the dock.

Attached Files:

8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

This is the Palmer Johnson Finish Line, owned by one of the top guys in NASCAR. Check the second photo for the rollers in the hawspipe, interesting setup giving options for setting dock lines. BTW, great ending at the Daytona 500 today.

Attached Files:

9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Leopard used to be built in Pisa, Italy and owned by the Rodriguez Group. Since they've expanded so much, I'm not sure whether they still have the Leopard line or not. They also build Mangusta.
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The Lepoard looks quite stunning...well designed!

The PJ123 looks quite good as well.
  11. MaxResolution

'Demographics' -you sure?

I'm afraid the Bro was pre-sold, and the client merely listed their general concerns, before handing it off to the builder. I've been throught this house many times. And, I'm not knocking -this- mode of so-called traditional design, but I don't get the designer's total disregard for the lines we anticipate, after seeing this majestic exterior. Give me a break on that chintz, and forgo the rectilinear emphasis. I see the rolled & tucked, but not on the entire console.

The Leopard, on the other hand is a complete design. We aren't about to finish it out in a disproportional manner, 'disco' -Leopard chairs, or not...

I'm a Steven Chase fan. He would play with a world of richer textures on all the items that you will touch and feel. Working one's way backwards, with that in mind, I bet you wouldn't come up with creme carpet that shows all the dirt it can find. I would have chosen a slate floor in the galley, and a contemporary, rain-drop like pattern, warm gray carpet in the Master berth. Then I would have told the woodworkers to have a field day with real custom built-ins to match.

To each his own. I will certainly accept the fact that I haven't a clue about the scale of which I speak, only years of experience moving furniture to make similar spaces look more livable.

Or, maybe I've just seen one too many 'Duck hunting' prints.
  12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

13. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi Ken
    Yes the Rodriguez Group still owns the Leopard. This gold one was first called SPIKE and she was based in Mallorca for a short time. When she was sold to the American Client i was asked to do the warrantee issues on her before she went to the USA. We took her back to Pisa to get the work done
  14. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I think I know what Max was refering to: similar to another boatbuilder I was once associated with, the interior execution ( pun intended-- lifeless innards) is technically flawless, but with a startling lack of warmth; the antithesis of a European boat, esp. an Italian [ any marque ].

IMHO.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I know what he was refering to as well, but saying it "stinks" and "no taste" is not the best way of describing it. I agree that there are better designs to my taste, the normal bad/good 80/20 percentage goes for almost all designs if you ask me. But I also realize that we are all different in what we like.

We have a thread on Designer Yachts in the meaning of pushing the envelope and create new and lasting styles based on knowledge instead of rock'n roll.

The thing with yachts however is that our clients often just want something they have already seen and they feel more safe when ordering a theme they can refer to and feel comfortable with. It doesn´t make them say other styles "stinks"...
  16. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

Thanks =)

Just wanted to say thank you to all who took the time to post pictures of this show for those stuck in the hell known to many as Winter in the Northeast. It's much appreciated.
  17. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Thanks x 2

Yes, thanks for the shots from someone from the opposite corner from Florida.
    In post#36 of Primmadonna, that is quite a live bait well, and you know, the fighting chair is right on top of it!
    In post #45 with the nice looking model, who's design is this? Very sharp.
    I like the fleet of Cristensens in post #62. Are there four?!
    Did anyone see our model of the new Christensen hull 35 with vertical pilothouse windows & extended fwd sheer? A very new look for them.
  18. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks Brian, CaptainSilva and the others for the kind words. It wasn't too long ago when I was living back in NY that I used to dream of going to these shows, and I would pour over magazines and any internet sites to see the latest yachts and innovations. Now that I'm down here, I'm glad to take the pictures and post for you and others to enjoy. Brandon also gets many great shots and he's quicker on the postings than I am. So I thank him.
    Here are a few more of Primadonna's livewell and cockpit.

Attached Files:

19. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Just noticed that it looks like the fighting chair is up behind the skylounge. Did they move it up there instead of on top of the livewell or is this just a temporary location?
  20. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

By the looks of it, maybe it belongs there. My guess is that from up there, you're out of the traffic in the cockpit, and when in use, they remove the railings so you can swing that chair and rod. Also, I don't see any mounting plate in the deck for the chair. Also a nice vantage point while cruising, sipping on a martini and enjoying a favorite cigar.