Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

2006 Air & Sea Show: Yachts in Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by YachtForums, May 7, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The guy on the Cigarette wasn't the problem. Chistina is located on a point-dock just north of Las Olas, where boats are coming on-plane or off-plane. This is not an idle speed zone on weekdays, so Christina is subject to a beating like an abused wife.

The real problem is the lack of education by many boaters, but more importantly, inconsiderate & disrespectful operation of their vessels. Case in point, I was following a 60'+ Mangusta up the ICW. This guy was running about 30 knots and throwing a *wall* of water that was swamping smaller boats. Worse... as he approached marinas, he gave no consideration that his wake would travel forward and wreak havoc on docked boats.

I only have the best wishes for these people, such as premature health problems and poor stock picks.
  2. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

yes I see the point

As you probably know our home dock is exactly where the speed limit starts/finishes before commercial bridge so we end up getting a beating by some of the bigger boats. But what I hate is when I'm lowering the Chris Craft off the lift and people not only pay no consideration to my situation some actually seem to come closer to take a look!!!

Funnily enough you had a picture of one yacht who has a sports fisher of the same name, they once made enough wake to wash the wood chippings off the garden!!!! Thankfully the Neenah Z is a heavy boat and doesn't get too much of a beating.

Just goes to show that common sense isn't that common
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That's another good point... at high tide, a large sportfish or express cruiser can send wake over sea walls, which means ICW docks are subject to the same force of a tidal surge. I've seen planking ripped from docks due to this.

Like you said. It's just common sense, courtesy and decency. If there was a place to purchase it, it should be standard equipment.
  4. MYCaptainChris

and

Also I've noticed a few boats sit on the bottom at low tide and I'm sure a good bit of wash won't do them much good. We in fact touch bottom on spring lows.

Good thing about the shape of the Neenah Z we produce almost no wake, even at cruising speed.

Anyone ever noticed the horizon in the BVI's goes down hill?

Attached Files:

5. MYCaptainChris

just a couple

a couple more pics from the same folder

Attached Files:

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

7. MYCaptainChris

sorry

sorry guys went a little off topic
  8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hey Carl
    Sorry I missed you in Ft. Lauderdale. I had my hands full with the kids 24/7.
    We stayed at Bahia Mar & I have plenty of marina and air show pictures. I'll have them up in a day or two.
    Bahia Mar was a hit with the wife & kids! It was far enough away to avoid the mayhem but close enough to see everything. The jets were right over our heads:D
    My son was in awe watching the Blue Angels and the real kicker was when we walked into the lobby Saturday evening & the pilots were all there. My son's jaw was on the ground when he saw them! What a friendly bunch of guys. Several saw my son looking at them & walked over to say "hi" & talk all about the planes & gave us posters, shirt pins & let us take pictures.
    Now, I just need a pitch fork to find my desk.:mad:

Hey! I'll be in Riviera Beach this Saturday. I had the Bertram hauled at crackerboy to have some work done. I'll give you a call Friday
  9. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

I think it is the 68' Admiralty. They were next to us in Miami and were just about the same size.
  10. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Nice seadoos you have on the bow Captain Chris..i like those PWC's.
  11. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Carl,
    I did attend the show with my son. Took the boss' yacht out for fueling and a last run before trip back north. Got a few shots from the ocean that you missed. Enjoy!
    Capt Tom

Attached Files:

12. Carl Guzman

Carl Guzman New Member

Air Sea show

Wow really nice pictures I'll make it a point to go next year looks like you guys had a lot of fun..
  13. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Carl,
    Come on around and stay near Port Everglades, perhaps at Pier 66. Get out early and join the fleet anchored less than a mile off the beach (plan to stay all day). I hear that many small boats anchor inside off the ICW also. It was cool to see so don't miss it.
    Capt Tom
  14. Carl Guzman

Carl Guzman New Member

Air / boat show

Yes that would be nice but anyone have info if I can make thru Lake O .. I have a draw of 5ft and a top clearance of 24ft???