Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

2005 43 Cabo w/CR900 Mans Performance issue

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Aug 18, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The boat will only turn 2225 rpms at WOT with load. In neutral it will turn up above 2300. Just had all fuel filters changed, new air filters & bottom cleaned. Props are 28x39 4 blade nibral and they were just tuned. The boat at cruise is approx 26 knts and wide open 29-30 knts. Manufacturer says it will cruise at 30 knts and 35 knts wide open. Of course that is not fully loaded w/fuel,water, etc. Wondering what props others may have on their boat. Also have thought about cutting pitch down to 37. Looking for thoughts or ideas from others.
  2. Not knowing what engines you have but assume that rated top RPM is 2300. First question is did the boat ever run at 2300 RPM with the same props? It might have been like this since new. Is your synchronizer on? One engine may be holding the other back, with it off and both engines are running almost the same, it is more likely a prop question rather than an engine question. If one engine is different there are many possible reasons that your mechanic can search to find.
    Maunufacturers speed specs are like fuel mileage for your car, in the real world it is pretty rare, you have the right idea to ask here what similar boats get in the real world.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have done quite a few engine startup's and sea-trials on the 43' Cabo's. The speed figures are taken with 50 gallons-100 gallons of fuel on board, very little water, no hard-top or tower, or outriggers, and without the use of trim tabs. It has been a few years since I ran a 43' so I cannot remember the speeds with the various engine packages. But 29 knots at cruise and 32 or 33 tops rings a bell (I think) for your year and engine package once a hardtop and outriggers are installed. Also the proper use of some trim tab (about half way down) will increase your cruise speed on the 43' up to 2 knots. Cabo usually pitches the new boats in this condition to hit 2350 rpm's to allow for the added weight of the tower/hardtop etc etc....... But there were a number of 35's with cats that the factory later had to cut pitch out (after they'd been sold) to get rpm's to where they needed to be. I am not sure on the 43's with MAN's.

Call CABO, they are very good at answering all of their customers questions.