Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

2002 56' Ss

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by canesfins, Nov 2, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. canesfins

canesfins New Member

Anyone have a 56' SS? We just purchased one, have it on dry dock finishing up some work and doing some modifications but interested in any information that owners might have.
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I've run and refit a few Oceans including a 56'er, what kind of info are you looking for?
  3. canesfins

canesfins New Member

Well, are there any recurring issues we should be aware of? The one we purchased have twin 1050 Mans - seem to run well. Also, we are looking at a davit and a 13' Whaler for the bow, will this be ok for a tender on this size boat or will it be too much?
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

The main issue I've seen with Oceans is they are lightly built, and under prolonged heavy use will start to crack in the strakes. Reasonably easy and low cost to repair yourself, but something you need to keep an eye on. The 1050s are good engines, just make sure you do the nozzles regularly to keep her running good and efficiently. As for a 13' Whaler on the bow...eeeessh... I wouldn't, that's a lot of weight. I'm not a fan of bow storage either. All you need to do is bury the bow in one storm and it will become a deadly projectile. When I was running dive boats in the oilfield, I had a couple of 12-K bottle tank racks of HeliOx on the Bow of a 185' Halter OSV. These were secure down by 3/8" chain to padeyes on doublers welded to the deck. We were running back at night in a storm and stuffed the bow in a wave. Both of the racks tore loose, the deck tore away, and one rack came through the wheelhouse windows. Since then I've been kinda shy about carrying large bouyant things on the foredeck. The power of water is incredible. If you only run near shore and in the Bahamas and such, I'd look at getting a non-RIB, folding floor inflatable to keep up there that you can just toss in the water and haul out by hand, and keep an outboard for it in the cockpit and you can put a little davit in the back to handle the motor. When conditions go to crap, you can deflate it and bring it in, or just leave it in the cockpit.