Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

2002 40’ open steering ram

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by CaptainChase, Dec 14, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptainChase

CaptainChase Member

Wild chance, but does anyone know the correct steering ram for my boat? Had it sent out to replace seals, and I guess the ram was just too far gone to repair. Don’t currently have access to the ram, so trying to figure out which ram would be a fit for my application. Thanks in advance,
    Chase
  2. Robert Page

Robert Page New Member

Sorry Chase, I doubt my 29 has the same one on it!
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm guessing your old ram went to a shop? Can they give you the style and cube inches? Or just rough phy dimensions?
    CaptainChase likes this.
  4. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

I have a 2003 40' open. I'll be near the boat this Saturday (Feb5, 2022). What would you need? dimensions? I can look for a label....
  5. CaptainChase

CaptainChase Member

Man that would be awesome. Unfortunately I’ve been too busy to even get to the boat at all but a label or dimensions would be perfect.
  6. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

Happy to help. Look for a response no later than Sunday.
  7. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

No label on mine. Cylinder is 12" long, 2" round. I have a Pic of it helps. If think the shop that has yours would be able to find a replacement... sorry I can't be of more help!
    CaptainChase likes this.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have some old catalogues to compare to if it may help.
    Post some pics of how it mounts and measurements and I'll match it to something.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Are you trying to replace your existing ram with something different? If you are replacing with same as existing the shop you sent it to should easily be able to find you one. And usually cheaper than buying one from the the steering system manufacturer.
    I just did this with my davit. We are doing a complete overhaul and powder coat. Took the thing down to parade rest. The main boom cylinder has more corrosion than I’m willing to allow to go back on. The hydraulic shop quoted about half the cost as the davit manufacturer for a complete new cylinder. After all, these system manufacturers are just buying them too then marking them up.
    CaptainChase likes this.