Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

2001 Grand Alaskan sea trial vibration issue..thoughts?

Discussion in 'Alaskan Yacht' started by Adopo, Jan 29, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You have a point but the other issues noted in the surveys raise more red flags than can be seen on May Day in beijin.
    motoryachtlover likes this.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The survey just confirms the lack of preventive maintenance and lack of use. Survey matches sea trail. Sea trial is enough to say "no."
    motoryachtlover likes this.
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

This is why one sea trials and surveys. Both match, either all is corrected to buyers specifications or the deal is off.
    I am afraid in this case I would call it off. I say that as one who falls in love with the new boat.
    As @olderboater recommends put your business hat on when conducting the business transaction part of this boat crazy lifestyle.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Bingo. That's what would concern me the most, in general.
    Even more than the oil analysis and all other particular defects, none of which are totally out of place, in a 20yo boat.

OTOH, at risk of appearing over optimistic, if I would like the boat (and in some ways I do), I'd be tempted to negotiate a substantial price cut and take care myself of what it takes to set her straight.
    It would be a bit of a gamble of course, but I have a funny feeling that the amount of time and money needed, even if certainly not trivial, could eventually be less than what comes across now.

All that said, I agree that as things stand, walking away is the more sensible thing to do.
    I just have no idea of how likely it can be to find something better at a comparable price.
    Also because, as we all know, the only bullet proof strategy for avoiding surprises with boats is to steer clear of them all...!
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wonder if leaking fiberglass exhaust tubes are a common issue on Taiwan boats. Years ago I ran a Johnson 70 with an aft master and fiberglass exhaust running behind the cabinetry. Every couple of year one would pop a pinhole leak resulting in wet carpet. After 8 years running the boat i had to cut access panel in every cabinet to fix the leaks.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My 44 year old boat has untouched, 10 inch glass exhaust. Still looks new. Don't know who made the tubes, but as the rest of the f-glass on Berti, rock solid.

On this G B;
    I have to wonder about other f-glass components, ,, like the hull??

With these easily visible issues, what other issues has this boat with out correct repairs??
  7. olderboater

Problem is you don't know the problems. You don't know what it will take. I'd have to have more information before I'd gamble. I do not like to gamble on unlimited exposure.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The problem is, no matter what you do to this boat, including a complete refit, you will never have a great boat, ever. It has a poor hull design, poor engineering, and poor build quality. Move on and buy a proven good brand.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  9. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

So in this genre what say you? Nordhaven, Fleming, American Tug. Have you run a Taiwan “tub”, your words not mine:), that you would consider? Selene, Ocean Alex., anything in the fast trawler line.
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I was wondering the same, because BTW both Nordhavns and Flemings are also built in Taiwan - when not in mainland China, as it happens for many (possibly most?) of the former.
    Not sure about American Tugs, they used to be built somewhere in PNW, as I recall?
    Problem is, SFs aside, I struggle to think of any boat built in the US of A which is worth writing home about, these days.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have worked on a couple of American Tugs 43s.

It's a Jungle Gym up & down stare sets from area to area.
    Past the physical fitness program, they are built very well, and are solid.

Built in Washington state.;Amazing a few are in Florida.

Owners loved them and bragged often.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have worked on a few Flemings.
    Nothing to brag about, But no great faults.

Josie & I delivered one up the FL coast. Following & stacked close 3' chop from the SE drove the stabilizers and AP crazy. We center locked the stabilizers and turned the AP way down.
    I think a prop still vented a few times @ 10kts.
    Shallow & light stern.

Owners liked them but did not get carried away in bragging about them.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  13. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

Outer Reef as well.
  14. olderboater

There are many great boats built today in Taiwan and China. Selene owners love them OA is popular. I like Cheoy Lee. Fleming is top quality.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Only on one OA, Thought it was a nice & heavy boat. Owner loved her and had her many years. No complaints in working on her.

Only on one Selene for some light electrical work. The wiring was done very well on this boat under the helm.
    She was very nice and new owners were very happy.

Never been on a Nordhavn.

We did some heavy work on a Norseman, an other China boat. Looked nice but I would take a Bayliner MY over this hands down.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ocean Alexanders are not in the same category as Fleming, Nordhaven, Selene, etc. they are modern style MYs. I have never run one but looked at the and as of a few years ago their performance left a lot to Be desired.

I used to run a Taiwan built johnson 70 skylounge, 2003 vintage with 3412Es. The quality was OK (awful stainless steel though) but performance was real good. It was a Dixon design. Topped at 30kts and could cruise all day between 20 and 24kts.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Unfortunately you may be right. Viking is building a few MYs and they’re pretty good. Hatteras seem to have abandoned the MY market altogether... over 100’ of course you have Westport...

But in the 60/80’ range I can’t think of anything. Carver’s Marquis and Silverton’s Ovation are dead and buried. Lazzara is long gone at least in the US as They ve been building some boats in Turkey now.

I guess Sea Ray is the last player here? There is a 650 down the dock... pretty nice looking NO NON SENSE boat but as big as they get.

where are Marlows build, Far East?
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One of the American Tug owners did sell and picked up a similar sized used GB Eastbay. It was back on the market with in 6 months.
    Per the short term owner; Way less storage than his A Tug, and when underway, the bow rise kept anybody from looking forward from the lower helm.
    He was looking at the next sized up (48) A Tug when We last heard from him.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

20. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

What about Vicem? Is that a cold molded wood construction hull? They sure are Purdy.