Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums

2000 Post w/high moisture around salon window

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by jrp4783, May 8, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Just had my boat surveyed and have found that I have 20-30% reading around the perimeter of the starboard salon window. Also detected higher moisture in the side frames "wings" that attach to the gunnels from the house sides. I noticed that the bottom of these pieces have open plywood when you look up into them. That wood looks to be decomposing from years of exposure. Anyone experience these issues on this vintage 50ft?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's rather common on a lot of boats. Your window has been leaking for a while. I'd have it pulled and any rot changed/fixed and re-bedded and now would be a good time to do all of them.

The 50' Post I managed for a while was a 2001, we didn't have a window issue leaking there, BUT the 1.5-2" aluminum pipe support for the hardtop on the starboard side, we did have the hardtop side brace that bolts above that area crack in half near the hard top and have it rewelded, which seems to indicate the geometry for the hardtop pipes/supports might not be exactly right as far as geometry and loads go. This may cause flex in the window frame directly below it.
  3. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

On my 95 Viking the aluminum salon window frames had small holes in them that caused leaks and wood rot. When we pulled the windows out you could see the holes and damage. I didn’t think aluminum would act like that but it sure does.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

There is a thread back from several years ago on this. I found that the wood at my salon window facing the sun at my berth was drying out and causing a leak. I applied several heavy coats of linseed oil on the inside track and have not had a problem since. Let it absorb into the wood before the next coat. It fills and expands the wood, and drys to a rather hard finish - no oily residue. Let the frame dry out before applying the oil. I ran a fan across the window for a couple of days to remove the moisture.