Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

2 Roamers on the bay

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by smcmanus, Oct 1, 2005.

1. smcmanus

smcmanus New Member

I see 2 Roamers on ebay for dirt cheap. I'm tempted to bid on the one in Manitowoc as that is right across the lake. There is another one in Bay City. They are both 1960 35 footers. The one in Bay City looks a little rough with a home made sedan under the hardtop. The one in Manitowoc looks to be a factory sedan which I would much prefer. The problem is that these are charity auctions and there is very little information available on the boats. Does anyone here have any personal knowledge of these boats?

My first post here! :rolleyes: I have spect time on the CC Roamer site but just stumbled across this forum.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. gdalegonalot

gdalegonalot Guest

Steve, I purchased the one in Manitowoc, WI in spirited bidding. I was ahead most of the time but in the last few minutes, two people jumped in and drove the price two grand higher for me. I had to step and fetch to get the final winning bid in three minutes before the auction ended. By the time my screen told me I had the high bid, there was only 18 seconds left in the auction.

About the boat itself. My wife and I went to see the boat on Monday. The hull ID is: ROX-35-274. It has Milwaukee, WI painted on the tramsom. It has been sitting in uncovered storage for 5-6 years, so it may not be a 'deal' afterall. It seems to be pretty good externally, including paint, but all chrome needs to be replated, all wood needs refinishing and the wood areas around the windows need refinishing and sealing soon. We were happy to see that all external trim is in place. I'm told at least one motor runs. We could not see inside, so we have no idea what we have yet. It will be delivered on Oct 24th.

For us, living just 65 miles West from the boat will save us quite a bit in moving expense, but still not cheap. We have to purchase blocking and stands but have ten acres to park it while restoring it. Having restored cars, boats, antiques and homes for nearly 40 years, we have the tools and skills to make it shine like new.

Gary
  3. smcmanus

smcmanus New Member

:) I'm glad to hear you got it! I was thinking of bidding but just couldn't do it sight unseen. I hope you have fun with it.

Where is your home? I used to drive US10 through there several times a year travelling form MN to the C&O boat.

Good Luck
    Steve
  4. gdalegonalot

gdalegonalot Guest

I live in New London, WI, a few miles north of Hwy 10 and about 17 miles North-West of Appleton, WI. We plan to dock 'Nauti Gal' at a marina on the Wolf River, just a few miles from out home. There is endless boating from there and I mean endless. When the locks are restored on the Fox River, East of Appleton, we will be able to boat all the way to Lake Michigan by going through a series of lakes, rivers and locks, then on to the Atlantic Ocean. We're retired, so I hope to spend next summer putting 'Nauti Gal' back into tip top condition. We had a couple of Bluewater's built in MN back in the mid 70's and really missed boating. We just moved back to WI last year and have been looking for the right boat. Gary
  5. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

"Nauti Gal"

Great job getting that Riviera and starting the restoration.
    It always good to hear when one falls into good hands.
    Hope that motor ran and you are finding all the parts suppliers you need.
    There's nothing like getting on a boat you have redone yourself.
    Cheers!
    Eric
    "Tin Tonic"
    PS - Thanx for that hull# -- you've made the list of "Known Survivors".:p
  6. Yana

Yana New Member

Howdy!

Hi there, you are the closest new member to me I think.... if you are ever in Green Bay, look me up, you can find me at Lakeside Marina Tel. 432-2400, I have a 37 Riveria. Or visit our Yacht Club on your way to your great adventures.
    Yana
    1968 AL Riveria
    "Jollymon"