Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

1997 35' Cabo FB - Removal of built-in TV?

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Stormy Seas, May 21, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stormy Seas

Stormy Seas New Member

The forward berth has a cabinet mounted built-in Magnavox T.V. on the starboard side. I need to remove the TV. Has anyone tried to do this?

There is about a 3" round vent hatch on the cabinet top, and about a 4" round opening in the closet ceiling below it. There is, otherwise no means of accessing the back of the cabinet. I looked through the top vent and the bottom hole with a small camera and for what I could see, there was nothing evident in a means of loosening up the T.V.

Logic would dictate to treat this like removing a wall speaker, i.e., remove the trim and find exposed screws that might hold the T.V. in place from the front. The plastic trim that goes around the T.V. has no screws, and doesn't appear to pop off.

If this is a permanent installation, I may need to destroy it to remove it by runnng a sawsall between the trim and the T.V.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
  2. Stormy Seas

Stormy Seas New Member

How I removed the built-in T.V.

For those having a similar issue, here was my solution to remove the T.V. that might work in your application as well.

The T.V had a seperate 1 piece sleeve/shroud which formed a molding around the T.V. on the outside of the opening, and extended through the opening in the cabinet about 5 inches. First, Four screws were fastened to the 2 sides of the shroud and into the sides of the T.V. Then caulk was applied to the outside of the cabinet opening and the shroud (with T.V. attached) was pressed into place, forming a permanent installation.

I removed the T.V. by sliding a hacksaw blade between the shroud and the T.V. and cutting the 4 screws. Just the hacksaw blade would fit, so wrap the end with a cloth to hold on to. The T.V. was then free to pop out.

Getting the shoud out with the outside molding trim still attached will require breaking the caulk bead, if possible.