Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

1995 46 post fuel tank

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by BigChief, Feb 3, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BigChief

BigChief Member

Possible fuel tank leak, we have found diesel along the rear mounting tab and it looks like the paper under the tank is wet too.

The sender and sender gasket are recently new.
    Anyone ever have this problem?
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

My boat is older than your but my tanks may be similar.
    They are installed in such a way as to contain a leak if one occurs.
    The stringers are blocked around the tanks.
    In my Post, is a 3/4 tube that leaves the containment basin, running forward, and is found under the cabin sole.
    Mine has a plug similar to what you'd find on a tender stern.
    If you have a serious leak, the plug would contain it around the tank.
    If you have an endoscope you may ( on mine you can ) look down beside or ahead of the tank to see whats under the tank.
    If you decide to pull the plug, do so very carefully.
    If the basin is full of fuel you don't want it in the bilge.

I open my plug every now and then to ensure there is no water/fuel there.

I would clean up your fuel puddle and keep an eye on it. Probably the gasket ( crossed fingers )

Also if its a big leak, you'd probably have a strong fuel odor all the time.

Good luck.
  3. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I have almost the exact issue on my Ocean. I endoscoped all around the tank and the only wet spot was the aft inboard corner at the amounting location. I cleaned the area and everyday would find fresh drops of fuel. Luckly for me, I was able to empty the tank into the opposite tank and now repairing the tank. Inspection of the tank revealed several holes deep enough to penetrate the 3/16" tank thickness. The tank has been cleaned, etched and holes filled with fuel resistant epoxy. Now building the plate to seal the hole that was cut into the tank.