Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport

1993 Carver 300

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Tigermaple, May 25, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tigermaple

Tigermaple New Member

I am finally moving up from a pontoon! I am looking at a Carver 300. It will be used on inland lakes(Fingerlakes) and rivers. It is priced to sell. Very spacious for its size. 800 hours on 5.7 crusaders with maintenance recs. Interior in decent shape. Windows have slight leaks and maybe the rub rail. I've read here the windows are a pain to fix. This will be my first real boat. The owner will give me 30 days to return it if it has a problem so I am planning on (gasp) skipping the costly survey and investing the money back in the boat. I have found only one bad review of Carvers from many years ago and it was really bad but conversely I see more old Carvers still in use around here than anything, so they can't be that bad. I would truly appreciate any input the board could offer.
    Thanks, Pat
  2. boatme99

boatme99 Member

Pat, I don't think I'd recommend skipping the survey. On a 26 year old boat there's a lot that can be wrong.
    Leaking fuel tanks, lots of rot from the window leaks, Hull blisters, etc., a bunch of hidden stuff.

If it were a Pacemaker, I could get very specific. :D Especially with window leaks! :eek: I'm sure some Carver owners will be along to get down & dirty with you.

Not trying to scare you away, just want your first yacht experience to be a good one.
    I think that would b a great boat for your use.
  3. g36

g36 Member

I wouldn't skip the survey. You said this is your first real boat. your going to have to have a survey for insurance coverage anyway if you keep her. You migh save a few bucks now and then find your into a bunch more later. your buying a boat so a survey is part of it to know what you have. I surveyed a few boats I didn't purchase I never considered it wasting money. Good luck.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

What!!? I wouldn't hold your breath on that 30 day return deal, btw....good luck. Get it surveyed and be there during the survey. Fill the fuel tanks to during the survey and sniff away down below. Your nose can tell you a lot. You want all the mechanicals to be in working order, sea trial the boat. Use the head, shower, pressure water system, water tank good? plug the boat in, all electrical things working? Bilge pumps working and actually pump water out, be careful pump may run while dry, but not pump water. Electrical panel working and looks good? How's the wiring on the boat? Yeah if it looks clean and the right price you can fix up the window leaks and rub rail leaks...believe me that is always an ongoing battle with boats.
    A few blisters are no big deal, you can sand them out and fill them in...but a lot of blisters, that's a problem.
    But it sounds like a good deal possibly.