Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay

1988 22M Cantieri di Pisa for trans-Atlantic

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by tuvix, Sep 12, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tuvix

tuvix New Member

Very helpful - thank-you.
    Can you recommend a better course across the Atlantic for this type of vessel? Easter to St Lucia?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

One of the toughest bits can be that left turn over the top of Scotland.

It is quite possible with good planning, a bit of patience and a smattering of luck to do the voyage the OP wants to do in a 22m motor driven vessel but not in a 27 yr old £100,000 fizz boat and definitely not on your own with the occasional bimbo picked up along the way.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Consider the people who will have to put their lives on the line to rescue you.

If you were to attempt this, it would be a real case of irresponsibility and you are depending on the rescue services and the Navies of a very sophisticated marine environment.

Want to be a hero: try it off Africa or South Asia where you either sink or float.

What a load of crock!
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

This would be the safest way for you, your yacht and those who might answer your distress call.

http://www.yacht-transport.com/
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The short answer for that boat is No. However the route itself certainly can be done. So the question is not the route nor even the size vessel, but the type of boat, the size of your bank account and the experience of the crew. Remember, on a voyage like that you're not crewing you boat for the calm days when Murphy is loving you. You're crewing the boat for when the s--- hits the fan from every direction.
    You probably want to do it in a trawler / expedition style yacht or a sail boat. There will be times of cruising days on end with no safe harbors (or fuel docks). You'll want to have a qualified engineer aboard, and a ton of spare parts. You'll also want to have a crew that you won't be tempted to kill or won't be tempted to kill you when boredom sets in or stress hits the roof, not "whoever I meet along the way that wants to ride along".
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

6 Very important words for an enterprise like this.
  8. tuvix

tuvix New Member

k sorry to waste your time then everyone.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You came here and asked a question, you got a few answers that might not have been the ones you were hoping for.

Get a different type of boat, take a few precautions in way of planning and it will be a whole different response.
  10. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Good response. Tuvix, that's the bottom line, or it took 29 posts to get you there. No one on YF wants to discourage dreamers or boaters with ambition, but the points made are relevant and are concerned with safety. You needed to know what you don't know and the posts here should give you a minimal start, not for abandoning the goal, but getting better educated and reframing.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Well said J.

We've all done some daft deliveries over the years, but that comes with years of experiences and the odd duffer you could well regret.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

And there are 4 guys who won't be making any more when returning to the UK on what should have been the milk run last year their boat foundered.
  13. tuvix

tuvix New Member

Hi K1W1. So are you saying I need to know the right boat, and plan the right route before I can ask any questions about boats and routes here? Im confussed. Do you want for me to have the answer to my question before I post it then? If I had a different boat and already planned the route I wouldn't have a question to ask.
    I got all the answers I was hoping for. I got suggestions on alternate routes, opinions about the vessel, and recommendations for alternate boats that would suit me better. All very helpful and I appreciate the info. Don't really understand the hate from some here. Wasn't expecting the assumption that Im incompetent, and can't ever learn anything, and my boat is not seaworthy. All you guys had was a simple six word question.
    The Akhir is owed by family since 88. Its in prime condition, and just had a major refit last year, and it would be free. Trip would not be for at least 5 years, and I would have the freedom to take my time and wait for the best weather before venturing too far from shelter. I should have about $200,000 for refits/repairs etc. I will be sailing on her with the owner for 2 months next year, and he would sail her with me for as long as I need to learn before I left, help me with training/insurance/licensing etc, and probably come with me as far as Gibraltar. I have friends and family (bimbo's) with boating/sailing experience in Scotland and Labrador. I would be doing this alone because I am alone in life. Sorry about that. I still would like to live the dream. And that's if it even happens. I did not know the north Atlantic was so treacherous, and thought crossing there would be safer because Im only off the coast by 150nm on the longest stretch. Ive been told the boat is a great coastal cruiser, which is what 99% of the trip would be. If It is not a boat that can safely sail across the Atlantic, I will not be doing it. This is just the beginning of us talking about the idea, and I thought I could reach out to the knowledgeable people on this forum for some perspectives . Again Im so sorry some people took such offense to me posting my question here.
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Not really. It was a ropey old French charter boat that most blokes wouldn't touch ever.

Years of, y'know, thingy stuff, wards you off them with a large barge.pole
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

TUVIX, I don't see anyone taking offence here in regard to your post.

I do see some other than myself many of whom have never themselves completed nor attempted a voyage such as the one you propose urging caution.

The vessel you linked to is a great boat for zooming around the Med on a calm day. It is not and was not to the best of my knowledge ever designed nor built with the intention to cruise it half way round the world. You say you will be coastal cruising but I don't think you understand how inhospitable a lot of that coast you want to cruise along really is.

When the engines and other equipment onboard is running for days on end with maybe short breaks for fuel this is very much the same as crossing an ocean. That is a 27yr old Fibreglass boat you are looking at - What was refitted?

I do not want to discourage your dreams I would far rather read about your journey with all its trials and tribulations from start to a successful finish.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Tuvix, you're on a forum with boaters of every skill level and from every age group and every place around the boating world. It's easy to misinterpret responses. I've known too many people who say "maybe" when they really mean "no". I'd rather hear a harsh "no" or even 'Do you must have s--- for brains' than an answer someone thinks I want to hear. Fortunately here one generally gets the unvarnished honest opinions. So always try to look on the responses in the best possible light. You might like to look back to some of K1W1's 6,866 posts over the past 10 years (BTW, happy YF anniversary K1W1) to see who's giving you advise. In some you'll also see what being taken to task is really like. :eek:
    "Coastal cruising" is generally considered where you can get into port within a fairly short period of time. 150nm from shore in places where safe harbors or inlets that could handle that size boat could be several hundreds of miles apart is not "coastal cruising". 10 hours to port can be a lifetime. Although I've confined my cruising to the eastern seaboard, I've gotten my tail handed to me more times than I can count. My very first run up the coast, from Ft. Lauderdale to Nova Scotia, had us running through 8 gales including one off Hatteras. Up in the North Sea I've heard of waves over 100' tall. The advice you're getting here is aimed at keeping you alive and still liking boating.
    BTW, as you look for interesting routes, look above you. I understand the NW passage is open to navigation these days (for a different type boat). Also keep in mind that one needn't cruise half the world to get a lifetime of amazing boating experiences. Good luck.
  17. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Would you have rather everyone say, "Great idea. Go for it" while knowing you would be endangering your life, perhaps that of others, that you were ill prepared, the boat was not the right one for the journey, and single handing was a dangerous way to do it? There are professionals here with decades of experience who would not do what you outlined. Now you come back and do outline some preparation you have in mind. Still, it's not the way to head out to sea.

You need to build up to things much more slowly and in a more disciplined and organized manner. Use the $200,000 to transport the boat. Use it as designed along the coast. Then after 5 to 10 years of that you might be ready for some dream cruise but it's not going to be crossing oceans in that boat. It might be the coast of the US, through the Panama Canal, up the East Coast. It could be ship the boat to the med and spend a year cruising there.

Save and spend on crew to accompany you on any major trip like the one described, just still that wouldn't be the one. It's the combination of all you outlined. We read the glamorous stories of those who made journeys they shouldn't have but made them successfully. Those who don't make it, who die at sea, don't write about their adventures.

Boating is a tremendous pleasure in my life. Has always been and has become more so the last three years. In those three years alone, I've cruised over 55,000 nm. I'm a 200 Ton Master. Yet, I know that trip in that boat would be very ill advised for me. If you're cruising alone, there are ways to do it and enjoy it, places to do it, boats to do it in. What would you do if midway between Scotland and Iceland you had major mechanical issues? On a boat that age, that's not a wild hypothesis. On a trip of that magnitude you will have mechanical issues. Just don't know what, where or when. If you were alone, who would fix them?

Go back to the drawing board and build a new plan within your capabilities and that of the boat you plan to purchase. If you find it offensive that we don't like a plan designed to put your life in danger, then so be it. We were just answering your question. You asked. We answered. If I was alone, I'd still be boating. But I wouldn't be making that journey. There are plenty of other ways to enjoy boating.

As boaters, and especially those of us who are licensed, which is the majority of people here, we have a responsibility to encourage safe boating.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think it is a wooden boat and I like the old Akhir's, but I would never do this trip with it, it is not a long range cruiser.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Unfortunately it appears you are right in which case I would say the chances of making that journey are not as good as if it were glass and the chances are not high at the start anyway.
  20. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I had that question too. The 1986 one is wooden. To the OP, is it a wooden boat?