Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

1987 ocean yacht 38ss deadrise

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by ichinaga, Oct 25, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

Hello. New to forum. I just purchased a 1987 38' Ocean Yacht. I'm not in possession of it until May of 2021. I wanted to purchase a thru-hull transducer. Does anyone know the dead rise of this boat? I cannot seem to find it when searching.
    Thank you in advance
    Tim
  2. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

That will vary depending on the location. Deadrise is greater towards the bow, and less astern. You must determine the location of the intended installation and measure at that point. If the boat is hauled for storage, it will be easier as it can be measured from the outside. That's based on a Wild A**ed Guess for why you won't get it until May :)
  3. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

Thank you. i saw a lot of boats listing dead rises and couldn't find a stock answer for this boat. the boat is 450 miles away and was hoping for an "easy" solution so i can install it when i go up over the winter and before it is the water next season. I'll try to have the owner do the measurements. I'd hate to assume because the transducer is over $1000! Thanks again for the response
  4. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

You're welcome.
    For the possibility of a $1000 misunderstanding, I think I would determine for myself where it will be best installed and eat overnight shipping when the time comes. I've seen situations where a new transducer would not fit where an original installation was, and the old hole had to be glassed over or the old transducer was simply abandoned in place with a new site chosen.
  5. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

Understood! The current transducer will be used, i will be adding a total scan/downscan type. Still dont need a mistake! While i have your ear- any idea where to find a owners manual for this 38 ocean yacht ss?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The deadrise # you're referring to is generally at the transom and can be relative to how the boat planes, but it'll have little to do with the number you need. Best to determine where you want to mount it and take the measurement there.
  7. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

thank you! I appreciate your input and help
  8. 45SS

45SS Member

Only place I can think to find a manual would be to find another 38 owner who would be willing to send you their manual so you could make a copy but don't expect it to be a wealth of knowledge. Mine tends to be somewhat generic with little accurate detail.
  9. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

thanks! I am in contact with another owner of a 38ss who is willing to share the manual. much appreciated responses.
  10. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

We used to have a 38 SS and we did install a transducer with a fairing block around amidships just forward of the engines. You will need to measure the deadrise at the exact location you plan to install the transducer, as its a variable deadrise hull, and I dont recall the manual being specific enough to get the deadrise at any location.
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Is the transducer you are thinking to install a flush one, with an internally tilted element?
    If so, I understand your need to know the deadrise, but a ballpark number is enough.
    The most popular of these transducers are built by Airmar for several instrument brands, and there are only three alternatives: 0° to 7° deadrise, 8° to 15°, and 16° to 24°.
    The first is obviously meant for displacement or SD hulls, so it's just a matter of understanding whether the deadrise at the installation point is more or less than 15 degrees.
    Anyway, I can't remember to have ever seen an owners' manual including a full set of technical drawings with stations lines, which is what you would need.
    So, I'm afraid that unless someone already knows and confirms the number you need, I believe you'll have to check that in flesh, or have someone do that for you.

On the other hand, if you are thinking to install a traditional straight transducer with a fairing block, why bother checking in advance the exact deadrise?
    You will just have to check that upon installation, cutting the fairing block accordingly.
  12. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

thank you trinimax and mapism - the plan is to head to the boat next month and take all of the necessary measurements- then go from there. I was able to get a hold of a manual from another member who happens to have the 38ss. Thank you again JINX! The transducer i'm looking at is a raymarine RV-200 type that has real vision. I'm new to this electronic / transducer world and trying to make sure i cover my bases. I guess I should narrow it down to exactly the MFD i'm looking for and match the transducer accordingly. Thanks for the input and all of your help - it is much appreciated.
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Ok, that's one of the transducers that I previously mentioned, with internally tilted element and no fairing block.
    So, you definitely need to know the deadrise before buying it.
    And also on which side (port or stbd) it goes, because it's an oriented transducer (i.e., you can't swap its direction).
    In this particular case, the three versions available are rated for angles slightly different from the ones I previously mentioned, but the principle remains the same.
    Essentially, you should check if the deadrise is more or less than 16°.
    If less, you should buy the 12° version. If more, the 20° version.
    There is also a 0° version, rated for up to a 6° installation, but that's irrelevant for your boat.
  14. ichinaga

ichinaga New Member

thank you. I was able to get a really good deal on a ray marine es128 and ray marine quantum chirp radar - so it appears that the only thru hull transducer for the es128 is the cpt-120. Navigating raymarine electronics can get confusing. The cpt-120 comes with a fairing block. So as you said before, i will have to cut the block accordingly. I have a lot to learn! Thanks for the help