Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

1975 Bertram 46.6- not maintained since 1998- Should I run?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by phughes69, Jan 25, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. phughes69

phughes69 New Member

I'm looking at a 1975 Bertram 46.6. The boat has always been a freshwater boat. It has DDC 8V71TI's in it. Around 1986 the #3 ring of the port engine was crack and the Starboard engine had bad rings. The engine maybe had 500 hrs New cams were also installed around this time. From the records I can see it looks like there was a lot of work done to these engines. I'm surprised that a 10 yo boat would need this much work. The overall condition of this boat looks poor. not much looks maintained. It still has original AC units. And from what I hear the 12Kw Onan does not work. The boat is definitely a project. It needs all the interior wallpaper removed and the carpet is junk. The galley has had all the appliances replaced. And the salon floor has had vinyl click together planks installed over the original floor. The boat definitely needs a lot, but I am no stranger to redoing electrical, plumbing, A/C systems. I'm just curious if this is a losing battle or if this might be a diamond in the rough. The asking price of the boat is $50K
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

In my opinion it is overpriced by at least $50k and perhaps more. The amount it will cost you in time and money is huge.

Capt Ralph would be our expert on such a vintage Bertram so look for him to speak up.

You use the term, 10 yo boat and I have no idea why. Regardless of anything done along the way it's a 45 year old boat. Just wait until you try to insure it.
  3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

I have a 1975 - 58MY - I paid about $100k 2.5 years ago. It runs but still needs a lot of work from 2 previous bad owners. I've put about $40k so far and have had to do anything serious, just basic things. You will never ever get your money back getting the boat back to where you want it. That price is very high for what you describe. I saw a 50 foot Hatteras in Merritt Island last year that looked like the Bertram you described and they couldn't sell it a $19K.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Run away fast.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Rebuild engines and gears 80k
    All New AC : 25k
    New gen : 15 k
    New heads, charger, misc pumps 10k
    Soft goods : 10k
    Appliances: 5k
    Electronics: 7k
    Interior: 10k
    Surprises 10k

that s pretty much 200k... boat is worthless as is.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sadly, there comes a time when old boats can not reasonably come back to life.
    Time and expense demands are never ending.

In the near 18 years since we purchased our '78 Bertram 58' with brush and grass growing from the corners and seat cushions,
    I have learned a lot and over all a great moral;
    Spend your money on a boat ready to operate and use it every chance you get.
    Lil details, curtains, soft goods and upgrades will still rip your checking account apart but you will be out using your boat.

If the above hull was given to you, You would still be older and broke before (if) it gets back into the water.

Look at the 46.6 in Louisiana. Lots of money spent on that boat. They keep dropping the price.
    When it gets to $50K, where it should be listed, consider this one.

Now, If you are a multi $$$ Go'Zillionaire and want to throw bux at boat projects,,, I would like to apply for a job (after it's relocation away from the snow)..
  7. phughes69

phughes69 New Member

Are you refering to this one?

https://www.**************/boats/1983/bertram-46-6-3728674/
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Not the right Bertram.

plenty of other Bertram 46 footers on the market that are floating in the water and you can sea trial, and most likely name your price I’m not saying cream puffs , but you want to find one that runs well mechanically ignore the varnish paint and interior.
    That’s a much easier fix than dealing with the mechanicals.

I paid just under 30,000 for my 42 foot ocean yacht which I sea trialed before I purchased it and I put it through its paces with the broker and my surveyor.
    That was six years ago it ran very well and continues to do so but on the other hand I put 50,000 into it since then on anything and everything overtime including a new generator.
    BUT... I am happy and use the boat all the time.
    I’ll never get my money back out of it and I don’t care..
    I’m boating free and clear.
  10. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

This is not a direct reply, but the underlying mechanics of my experience will likely apply.
    Our first boat was a 20 year old 28 Bertram with twin Mercruisers which cost $50k (Australia). It ran pretty well, but needed constant work, aerostart on cold or damp mornings, and our first service bill was $5k. There were no cheap services - the phone would ring a few hours after the mechanics had started, with a list of items to replace. Fun for a while as we were young and happy to spend one day of the weekend on maintenance leaning the ropes. But there were days when we planning to go fishing or relaxing and did not leave the mooring as something was not doing its part. We sold that for $50k after 2 years and did not get any credit for the new parts and work we had done. Upgraded to a 2 year old 28 with Yanmars for $150k. Yes a lot more, but it ran like a clock, services were just consumables, and you knew it would start on first crank, and no leaks. Owning and running cost were significantly lower, you could invite people out with confidence, be . Sold it after 3 years for $150k. Great memories and a lower overall cost of ownership.
    I don't regret the first boat at all, the afternoons on the boat fixing things with a friend, a beer and music.
    But economically, it was like my first car, a money pit.