Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Delta

1972 Hatteras 43 Wiring Schematic

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Jim316, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Jim316

Jim316 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am looking for a wiring schematic for our Hatteras 43 (1972). Due to the age of the boat almost nothing can be found online.
    I am having an issue with power distribution. I have power all the way to my panel but nothing coming out. I am also curious as to what the voltage should read at the main breaker in the panel. Using the two 30amp cords I would expect it to read 240v across the switch, I am only getting 120. If anyone can tell me anything it would be a great help.
    Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

C D Pinner is the last real Hatteras guy at the plant.
    He did threaten to leave at the end of the year.
    If,, If he is still on site, Factory prints may be your only hope.

Check your PM for contact data
    KLS likes this.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hatts use fuses at the service entrance.
    Some Hatts have isolation transformers with more breakers.
    Transfer switches and breakers can quickly be confusing on a Hatt panel.

Post pictures of the panel and service entrances.

Twin 30a leads does not mean you automatically get 240Vac. Just dual 115Vac service.
  4. Jim316

Jim316 New Member

Thank you, I keep trying every number I can find. No one ever answers and no one returns my call. I will keep trying.
  5. Jim316

Jim316 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have pictures of the service entrance yet but, I have the panels. I can't find a fuse anywhere near the service entrance. it looks like it has been "worked on" I am going to have a lot of rewiring to do. I now have no power in the panel at all. I verified that I am getting power on the rear of the service receptacles but it doesn't make it to the panel. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Your boat looks like it is 120v not 240v. I could be wrong but it seems that one cord is used for the air con panel and the second one for the main panel.

you probably will have to trace the wires from the receptacles and see where they go. As Ralph mentioned, hatteras used iso transformers but I think that came later.

and yes, they also used shotgun fuses near the inlets but I m not sure whether that was the case on the smaller boats

I ll send you a PM
    Jim316 likes this.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

From the pictures; the best I can figure, you have a 115Vac boat. The breakers are dual/double pole.
    Breaking Hot and Neutral per per breaker. My ole Bertram does the same on 115VAc breakers.

Also, You have a bad freezer breaker.

I may have missed something in your original post; what is working / not working??
    Left side vs right side ?
  8. Jim316

Jim316 New Member

Right now, nothing is working. I have no power in the panel. I also believe now as well it is only a 110 panel. How can you tell about the freezer breaker. I haven't spotted that.
    There is so much garbage that has been wired into the panel that I need to get out, I don't really know where to start. I finally managed to get someone on the phone from the factory. They are searching for a schematic and an Owners Manual for me.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My partner was just down there for that pirate wing-ding (puke).
    Glad I did not go down also.
    Sadly, I do not know of anybody in Hillsborough county that can find their asp with either hand to help.
    Your picture shows a broken/missing stud from the back of the breaker.

Is there a real marine electrician available? Can your surveyor hint to somebody?
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The problem with 50 year old boats is that many have been modified, refitted etc. the factory manuals for my 1970 53 MY are irrelevant because I have redone the whole electrical system and panel. Reason? The panel when I bought the boat in 2003 looked like yours…. Heavily modified over the years to the point it made little sense. One night after loosing power, I opened the panel in the dark and could see little sparks from loose wires…. That’s when I decided to start from scratch.

Some of the stuff I discovered made me wonder how the boat didn’t go up in flames. For instance, I had port and starboard inlets in the toe rail. To connect both side back in 1970 the hatteras folks thought they could take a 3” piece of copper pipe, slice it lengthwise and crimp that together. And use 2 1/2 rolls of electrical tape …. I guess I shouldn’t complain because it worked great for 45 years till I redid the whole thing.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It is these things and maybe more when you open up your Pandora's Box of electrical adventure.
    Please be careful if you dive into this your self.
  12. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

https://hatterassystemsmonitor.com/
    Maybe Les can help. He drives all over the State, or if your in South Florida, Wards Marine Electric in Ft. Laud. Only other one I know of might be Sams Marine International, also in Ft. Laud.
  13. Brett Portzer

Brett Portzer New Member

Hey Jim:

I also have a 1972 43DC and my panel situation is the same as yours. You have two separate panels, one cord goes to the main one, and one cord goes to the secondary one for the air conditioners, over in the closet.

Mine looks the same as yours, and I have all of the schematics, etc, for the most part.

But, these guys are right, people modify things. Mine no longer has fuses or anything on the inlets, for example...
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Do you have service inlet breakers replacing those fuses or just the panel breakers?
  15. Brett Portzer

Brett Portzer New Member

No there is nothing anymore. I am going to rectify that upcoming...
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember a kit that looked like a shore power connect but when the cover was opened a breaker was inside.
    Way down on the bottom of a long to-do list, this is planned on my friends Hatt, replacing his service entrance fuses.
  17. Brett Portzer

Brett Portzer New Member

Most of the electrical stuff is really easy to access, and run on the 43DC. I am working on a bunch of updates.