Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

1970 53' Hatteras Yacht; full refit.

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Pascal, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Took 5 months but we finally splashed and brought the boat home from the yard a couple of days ago.

It took a long longer than expected for a bunch of reasons... we had to cut down the stringers and reglass them to accomodate the new engine and gears. Also had an alignement issue with the aft struts. Had to launch the boat for a couple of days so the hull regain its shape, get some reference marks to check the blocking and move th struts a inch or so. Perfectly aligned now. I suspect the old two piece shafts had more flex than the new single piece 20' AQ22

Also sealed 8 or 9 old thruhulls, installed new TRAC stabs (and reinforced the hull), Had to run new 8" exhaust to the stern (used to be 6" for the old DD) which required a lot of csbinetry cutting in the master... rebuild the hynautic helms and ram, new fuel hoses and manifold, installed new trim tabs and a lot more

Still have some issue to work out like finish bleeding the steering, solve a glitch in the cummins analog gauge panels, etc.. and then a year of interior work...

Here are three quick clips of the launch and run home. Swipe to get to all 3. Ran mostly at hull speed on the way home from the miami river to the grove except for brief run at cruise RPM. Hit 17kts, silky smooth and no vibration. Will do a proper sea trial with mech in a couple of weeks when we get back from an uocoming trip to the exumas and will have unloaded a low of weight from the boat (tools, parts, etc...). Hopefully will turn rated rpm and target top speed of 20kts

Engines are loud in the video as the ER doors were open... and yes i m fighting air in the steering :)

https://instagram.com/p/Bi0dL44D1Bc/
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Congratulations, the old girl has new legs, 17 knots with fin stabilizers, very nice!
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Should have mentioned the 17kts was at 2200 rpm out of the rated 2600.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Looks like you have at least 2" of pitch to take out, this may be tough on old re-conditioned propellers.

It would be good to work with a local prop shop who may have some alternate props that you can test before settling on the final solution.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I won't know until we do a full sea trial. Let me clarify that the 2200rpm and 17 kts was NOT full throttle. We may turn 2600 on the pins. I don't know yet

That's why I had my props re con d. Then when we do a proper sea trial I ll see if I need a new set.
  6. unsinker

unsinker Member

Hoping Aaron Schlossberg does not read this post, watches either your video or sees your boat in US waters, great boat's name!
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The 12' strip planked cat boat on the top deck is named Sabrosa and we have a 26 strip planked gaffer that i built named Sabrosura :).
  8. unsinker

unsinker Member

Even better, great project, thank you for sharing and congratulations for knowing the challenges, going forward with it!
  9. John Hoch

John Hoch New Member

I know its been a yr since the last post but could you update us? We are going to look at a 50 just like this on the 13th. The wife lives the galley up idea..
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Slowly making progress but far from being finished. Been busy with the 84 footer we run, lots of time in the Exumas plus other projects. I have torn down the forward stateroom and head, build a centerline double bed and I m about to build a new forward head where the dinette used to be
  11. John Hoch

John Hoch New Member

If you get a chance I'd love to see pictures of that... we are very inspired by your work sir. Thanks