Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Westport

1969-Prowler from Keystone Point in Miami

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Knauernever, Mar 30, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Knauernever

Knauernever New Member

My dad put my grandpaw's 1969 32' Prowler that he bought brand new from Forest in Miami in a warehouse after rebuild in 1991 in Stuart and I had it hauled to Freeport FL in 2010 after 20 years in storage. I'm keeping it in the family and fixing it up for my son thats 10 now. Been nursing the 440 Chryslers long enough and ready to put in some Yanmar's. Dad and my uncles rigged it out behind his house in Keystone Point with 440 Chrysler's straight piped. My dad and uncles built the top and trim out with lots of cool stainless, teak, and mahogany and I have loads of pics from when I was 10 (51 now) with sailfish and dolphin we caught off lighthouse point down past the Miami Outboard club. Knauernever was a big part of my family and I'm looking for recommendations on HP to get 30 Kts out of it. She does 50 knots with the 440's which is scary too fast but want to get rid of gas to make it a safer boat. The hull is mint and loaded with everything Lee made but need some new motors. Any recommendations? Will post some pics - she's super cool and gets a few trips to Destin Pass a year but want to add tower and start hitting cobia hard. Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd recommend you look at Yanmars. Fast, economical running and small.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Having converted large block Chevy powered boats to Diesel, I would recommend the Cummins 5.9s with down angle ZF clutch.
    The Cummins Reman packages are still very attractive.
    Pending your shaft size and rating, your running gear may be re-usable.
    May even keep your controls and dash.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Cummins factory remans are the best option for any repower. Cheaper than new engines, 2 year warranty, all new parts except the block, new ZF gears. That s what I repowered my 53 Hatt with.

in Miami check with Mavex out by the airport. They re the cummins (and other brands) dealer. That where I got mines