Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

16v96

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Manny, May 16, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Manny

Manny Senior Member

I wasn't implying it's CHEAP, I was implying it's cheapER. Always good to save a little money :rolleyes:

I'm just saying that, as long as the end product is the same, I'd pick the modification of current engines if it's the cheapest way to do it, regardless how long it'll take to do.
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

It was implied that he could make the changes in the engine room as you use the same block and many of the same parts. I do not know if it is cheaper as your block is the "core", and other factors. My boss is "cheap" that way also- his money does not fall from the sky. No reason whatsoever to spend more than you have to.
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

What is your cost for hauling, sitting in the yard, mechanics' time, etc; and if you need machining to the blocks or to pull the pistons, have to lift the engines to drop the pans, or anything that's major surgery, then any hoped-for cheapness could easily end up costing you significantly more.

Personally, getting the job done and having a quick, clean install may be worth more than a few thousand bucks a side.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would tend to disagree with that statement having seen a lot of clients money spent on hotels and expenses of having people flown in to do jobs waiting for parts or unforeseen problems delaying things.

I am assuming here that these guys aren't going to sell you a kitset to have your local mechanic fit it when he has times between jobs to do a bit on yours.
  5. Manny

Manny Senior Member

You know what? I think I'm going to drop the idea completely. My engines work just fine the way they are. If it ain't broke, why tamper with it.:D
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

My last rebuild (16-92- one engine) was just over $60K in Hampton Roads area. At some time the engines will be rebuilt again. At that time it would be more in line to make this change. Why spend the $ for a rebuild if you can put it towards this? It offsets the 96 costs. Taking out a fine running engine makes less sense.