Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

16-92 broken valve question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Bamboo, Sep 11, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Were these Reliabilt parts or DD parts? Head etc? Is it still under the 90 day DD warranty? Several things could cause a valve to break, water in the fuel. A defective valve, valve guide, or seat, a rocker arm that wasn't properly installed/adjusted or just plain sitting for a long time without being run.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

How will water in the fuel cause a valve to break if it hadn't already rooted the injector?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Guessing at a course of events, blow the injector tip off, jets jammed at the valve seat, lil tap from the piston,,,,, pop.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Please re read my post, there was no mention of an injector damage in the post I referred to which is why I asked.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, rooted was not a typo. Rooted not usual term I use, but makes sense.
    The post #20 made no mention of the injector good or bad.
    I have seen hot spots on the seat cause valve failure. Lack of use, rust on the seat and got hot.
    I guess, sometimes they can just go. Valves do not have an easy job.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Use your imagination but it probably makes sense immediately if you have an Android phone from what I can see online.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Picture from post#1, 3 years ago? Comparison to a 4 stroke head from post#14, 3 years ago?
    Or new comments from this morning?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can't compress water, so provided it gets past the injector without splitting the tip, a little water in the combustion chamber can break a valve. Rare, but can happen.
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

FWIW I have had no issues with that engine since that time and did nothing further than what I have already described. I believe it to indicative of a single bad valve since the engine runs so well. Marmot was correct- I didn't "drop a valve", it simply cracked and broke off a portion, my bad on the description.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Stuff (crapp) happens. You have put down many hours since to prove it was just one of silly things. Amazing it did not expand into anything worse then. Many have followed the hours since.
    Yep, just one of those things.

A few others have not fared so well and valves (hell) has dropped. Sorry for them.

My stories of hot spots on the seats due to lack of use (not an issue on Sea Deuce), have produced similar failures. But when dissembled, you can see why. AND, again, with no damage to the engine or turbo, just lots of smoke.
    We get lucky when that lil valve part blows out and never found again.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I looked at a 16v92 boat that hadn't been started in a year. They started the engines before a survey seatrial and the stbd engine must've had the o-rings fail in the heads and water in 2 cylinders and bent 2 rods. Anyways, when they took the valve covers off, all of the rocker arms were very very rusty, I had never seen anything like it.
  12. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Could have been an engine- not just a 2 cycle Detroit IMHO.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, could've been any engine. The o-ring failure though is mostly a 92 thing as not many engines use o-rings to seal the heads and from sitting and old coolant. But just went to mention how a marine engine sitting in a saltwater environment can degrade VERY quickly. You could never run a diesel farm tractor and let it sit in a barn for 10 years and most of the time they'll start right up with fresh fuel and fluids and run fine.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Many old diesels on land will start after years with the same fuel and oil in them that was in them when they last ran. I am not saying that is the best way to go but that it is quite possible.
  15. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I wish I would have only had a bad valve last year on my 12v92. Unfortunately I did "drop a valve" and it was much more than swapping a head and a turbo. When the piston pushed the valve back up the stem went right thru the head. Exhaust, coolant and oil all mixed rapidly and then the remainder of the valve proceeded to beat the heck out of the piston. So you were very lucky and as you said, did not drop a valve like I did.
  16. JamesGarfield

JamesGarfield New Member

Capt J, your comments hit close to home for me, and explained some things I've been wondering about for a while.

I work in the factory (Continental AG, formerly Motorola), where we used to make the DDEC (Detroit Diesel Engine Controller). Back in the 90's and early 2000's, we made the DDEC III, DDEC IV, and for while the DDEC V units.

I was the Customer Returns Analyzer for these units. I got to perform the electronic "post mortem" analysis on these DDEC units that came back from the field with various forms of damage. It was a fascinating product, and I loved that job.

Long story short-- suddenly around 2005 we lost the DDEC contract, and were told DD had found a lower cost supplier. I was rather surprised to hear this, as Detroit Diesel had supposedly been very pleased with our performance as a supplier.

Now hearing you say that DDEC had been bought out by MTU, it all makes sense.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

found a lower cost supplier.

The beginning of the end and finally, the nails in the coffin...
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I thought Sturdy was the manufacturer of the engine controls (not the engine computer)? I just had all that stuff shipped back and forth to Sturdy to have it checked/fixed and sent back. This was a DDEC 2.5 boat. Sturdy manufactures the engine controls for CAT and did for MTU up until recently. (Throttle/gear shifters etc.)
  19. JamesGarfield

JamesGarfield New Member

Hi Capt J,

Yes, Sturdy may well be the manufacturer of the user-level engine control system. Motorola (at the time) built the ECUs. If ya ever had the chance to pry one open, you'd see the 'Circle-M' for Moto on the main micro. Made right here in the middle of Central TX, no less.

The main processor in the DDEC III and DDEC IV was an industrial grade Power PC micro, in 16/32 bit quad flat-pack form. There was a custom ASIC made for us by AMD (if memory serves) that was in charge of the injectors.

The reason for the dedicated ASIC was because of the "golden rule" in DDEC controller land was 'Thou Shalt Not Miss An Injector Event'. That is, it simply wouldn't do for the main micro to be preoccupied handling something like a CAN bus communication task when a cylinder comes up for injection. So the ASIC was focused on real-time injector management, while the main micro oversaw general ECU events.

The operating software (Strategy) was flashed into a couple of EPROMs, and the main memory was kept 'alive' by an internal 3.2V Lithium battery. We warrantied the DDEC unit for 5 years, which happened to be the life expectancy of that little battery :).

DDEC V was the last DD ECU model I worked on. It had the newer BGA version of the main micro which ran on 3V (although it still used that old 5V ASIC from AMD because they had made like a bagillion of 'em and they were dirt cheap by that time).

It's funny-- I've never laid hands on an actual Detroit Engine, but I've had many hundreds of the ECUs come across my workbench. They'd come back from the field with a variety of damages, the description of which would fill up a whole 'nother post.

I was sad to see DDEC go away from our factory. In general, our 'industrial' customers such as DDEC, Allison, and Cummins, understood that a quality product will cost what is necessary, and they didn't price-pick too much. This is in contrast to our automotive customers such as BMW, Ford, GM, etc... who tend to nit-pick about every little cost point.

(By way of disclaimer, I should say here that I'm not in management or a spokesman in any way for my company... just an old grunt level technician who enjoys talking about the art.)

Peace and take care.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thank you for the information. I enjoyed reading about the history. You might do well starting a little business fixing the cpu's.