Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

134m ‘Serene’ runs aground in Red Sea

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by jeduardo, Aug 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is very simple, the picture (copyright) belongs to the photographer until he is selling the rights or saying it is free to use. There are other rules (some local) on where you can take pictures and what you can publish...
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The photographer owns the photo.

There is a huge difference in the one you refer to. As you said, "No objections were raised." If the photographer did so, then it would be removed.

And whether or not it's currently on Instagram makes a huge difference. If it was there and isn't now, then someone like went after the poster there and had it removed, so the objection has already been raised.

When people post photos here, the mods have to use judgement. However, when it's a photo that has been removed from where it originated, good judgment says not to get in the middle of whatever is going on and don't allow it.

Let's say one of those crew members who probably has a very tight non-disclosure and no photo contract took a photo. Then he posts it. The place he posts it doesn't know he was in violation of a contract. However, when they are so informed is when potential liability can start to accrue on their side. This issue is dealt with every day on ebay and on all the sites that post naked photos of celebrities.
  3. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

It seems like the owner is very serious about not wanting people to know about this. The fact Serene just got out of a refit and now has to go back to a shipyard to get work done is serious..
  4. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Can you please send me a private message with the link to the car forum you are referring to. Thank you.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

I don't begrudge the owner wanting their privacy although in this case as they say you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. But they've come pretty close.
  6. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I was just looking at numerous images of the collision on a different forum. One image was taken from a helicopter or by a drone and shows Serene sitting on a coral reef. I feel very bad about the coral reef and the extent of damage to the Marine life. The damage to the yacht regardless of value is nothing compared to the damage and destruction which occurred to the coral reef.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you google yacht serene aground and switch the search page to image you ll see the picture...

Darn coral, it grows so fast that charts cant keep up!
  8. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

"With growth rates of 0.3 to 2 centimeters per year for massive corals, it can take up to 10,000 years for a coral reef to form from a group of larvae (Barnes, 1987).
    NOAA National Ocean Service Education: Corals"

I have an aerial image of Serene sitting on the coral reef just opposite Sharm El Sheikh, a very popular diving resort in Egypt. At least 40m of the 8000 ton megayacht are sitting on the coral reef. The damage and destruction caused to the coral reef is priceless and irreplaceable. Thousands of divers visit these coral reefs every year. How much is Serene's repair bill? USD 20 Million, maybe a little more. It's pennies compared to the destruction she caused. She did not collide against a simple rock in an Ocean, but against a very complex and very sensitive coral reef ecosystem.

"Coral reefs are the most diverse of all marine ecosystems. They teem with life, with perhaps one quarter of all ocean species depending on reefs for food and shelter. This is a remarkable statistic when you consider that reefs cover just a tiny fraction (less than one percent) of the earth’s surface and less than two percent of the ocean bottom. Because they are so diverse, coral reefs are often called the rainforests of the sea.

Coral reefs are also very important to people. The value of coral reefs has been estimated at 30 billion U.S. dollars and perhaps as much as 172 billion U.S. dollars each year, providing food, protection of shorelines, jobs based on tourism, and even medicines.
    "
  9. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

10. olderboater

Remember the fine levied against Paul Allen in the Cayman Islands? They did settle and he paid for extensive reattachment in addition to any monetary settlement.
  11. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Instead of everyone trying to cover up the story, it would have been more respectful if the owner or owner representatives would have disclosed the information to the public and been extremely transparent and apologised to the whole world and tried to compensate the world of marine enthusiasts and the various marine conservation societies for the destruction they have caused by maybe donating whatever sum for the conservation of worldwide marine life. Certainly an owner of a EUR 500 Million megayacht can afford it and he would have gained the respect of millions of marine and yacht enthusiasts.
  12. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

13. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

Trust me the cover up is not because of the coral reef damage, but its the party that was happening and the fact that they had to heli lift a ton of "girls' that were apparently high etc.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I was being sarcastic...

And this ladies and gentlemen is why we need to drill our own oil. :)
  15. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

HA !
  16. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I understand it has nothing to do with the coral reef, it is the embarrassment which they are trying to cover up and any information related to the damage of Serene. The incident is now public knowledge. In my opinion, an official statement is necessary from the owner, an apology is necessary and a compensation and settlement are necessary.

This is what I call a respectul attitude towards the public and the world from a billionaire like Paul Allen releasing a statement of his yacht's similar incident only last year:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-reef-damage-caused-300-foot-super-yacht.html
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

"young women indulging in all kinds of vices"...

Oh dear. :eek:
  18. olderboater

The words "cover up" are being tossed around rather freely. I expect the owner might use the word "privacy". We don't know who took the photos that have been removed or under what circumstances. If it was someone under a non-disclosure contract with the owner, then the owner has every right to object. As to the guests, the party, the girls, I would think those aboard deserve some level of respect to their rights of privacy. There's a dividing line between a public incident and invasion of privacy and none of us know enough about the photographs to know which side of the line they were on.

I don't know what was taking place on the yacht, and really don't have a right to know. On the other hand, if the photographer was under no legal restrictions then taking the photo of a boat on the seas would be allowed. We don't have the facts.

Much ado about nothing in terms of the question of YF allowing the photos. They see that the previous publisher of them has removed them and knowing that are wise in not publishing them.
  19. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

The above is irrelevant to us and the public. What was being done onboard the yacht or who was onboard the yacht is of no concern to me or anyone. The pictures are also of no importance or relevance. The pictures are only proof of the accident and that it took place because the owner till this moment did not disclose the incident publicly and through proper and legal channels.

What is of concren is that the owner has not released a public statement apologising for the damage and destruction which his yacht caused and has not offered a settlement or a compensation to those effected.
  20. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

Thats classy indeed and what was expected of him.

I personally don't care and appreciate a good party to be honest, what pisses me off is how they make other women behave in that specific country... whole other issue