Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for MotorCheck

130 Hatteras Donna Marie?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Marmot, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

You may be correct that some of the information is out of date. But it does give a historical perspective to the terms. And I'm not sure if US built pleasure vessels are measured using the IMO method or not. Perhaps some one here can definitively answer that question.
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

IMO Convention for ships measurement

As far as I am aware, the IMO Convention (International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships, 1969 (London-Rules) applies for all ship / boats / yachts ruled by this convention in all countries which have signed the above. The USA have signed and ratified this treaty.

But there must be some difference in the interpretation of this rules. For example, the important border of 24 meters in Europe as far as length of a yacht is concerned. This border calls for the fact whether a yacht has to be classed or will fall under the CE rule (pleasure boat) and is important for the licence of the skipper, which he has to obtain in order to drive (command) one of those vessels.

The GL (Germanischer Lloyd) or the official side, the BSH (Federal Office of Shipping and Hydrography) will take the London Load Line Length to determine whether a yacht has to be classed or not. The LLLL is taken at 85 % height of the main deck above the CWL and from this measured length only 96 % is calculated. This old measurement was invented to save commercial ship owners harbour, channel and pilot fees, because part of the aft overhang and the bowspriet was subtracted from the total length of their square riggers. This LLLL measurement can lead to the extrem example of the Pershing 92, which actually is a boat with an LOA of 28 meters, still being concidered a leasure boat with an official length of less than 24 meters (23,96) !!!!! This monster, with its 5.276 HP, can be driven by its owner under his leasure boat licence. A licence, which can be optained on a weekend !!

RINA for example takes the LWL or as they call it, the homologation length, which allows boats to be even bigger and still be officially under 24 meters in length.

The same applies to the GT measurement for classed yachts. There must be a difference in the volumetric measurement between GL / MCA / NV and RINA. As I have stated on this forum before, an Italian 499 GT yacht seems to be bigger than a 499 GT yacht from northern Europe. RINA must have different rulers, are easier to convince (or to be br..... :p) or there must be some room for interpretation between the lines, the classification societies from northern Europe are to stupid or not willing to use.

Just a few thoughts from a frustrated northern European, that sometimes wishes to be an Italian but only sometimes :D.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am almost positive that the syncrolift mentioned is a railway style lift and not a typical mobile lift with slings.
  4. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Yards

It's funny how on any number of forums whether it be yachts ships jets trucks etc. discussions go so far off track. I usually find due to someone trying to justify there stance when everybody else has proven them wrong.

A simple spelling mistake is one thing but facts should be facts.

I am not saying the design of a concrete structure should not be considered but any of us "locals" know very well the yard in question did not spend a lot on maintenance. I never had a problem with the guys who ran it and was pleasantly surprised to come across one of them driving the travel lift in a city owned marina on the west coast of Florida.

The five synco-lifts that I remember in Fort Lauderdale, the one in question obviously collapsed and has never been replaced, the one at Lauderdale yacht center now known as LMC, was a disaster waiting to happen and when in use was forever breaking down, the one at Derectors was inspected and found to have failing concrete and has been replaced with the biggest travel lift in south florida. The ones at Bradford's and Rosciolli's are both well maintained and are still in use.

Call the weight what ever you like but the failure of the one in question was due to very poor maintenance and the collapse of the concrete below the steel winch support.

Whether that was due to the state opening the flood gates and allowing more fresh water to enter the new river from the Everglades or a spring tide pushing more sea water up the river affecting the buoyancy one will never know all I know is I have spent three days trying to figure out Marmots formula.

Flogging a dead horse will not change the fact that the lift collapsed, the boat was damaged, not sure how water entered the hull as the holes were above the water line and Bradford's repaired her. Probably the best bit about the whole fine vessel.
  5. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Fyi

Four winches basically in each corner lifting a steel cradle that had tracks on it on which the mobile carriages was positioned to take the vessel.

Cradle was lifted horizontally and when aligned with the tracks on land another winch was used to pull the carriages with the boat off the cradle into the yard. Once ashore those carriages could also be side slipped much like you are familiar with at Bradford's.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Syncro lift

I think that was ment, when people talk about a Syncro Lift.

Attached Files:

8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

And that particular lift has been extended by one winch pack each side once since those photos were taken and is scheduled for another extension very soon according to the jungle telegraph.

The engineering work for the first lift extension was done by the son of the original builder of Syncrolift as his non competition clause with the buyers of the business had expired and he was able to get back into the business.
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

This is not the only extension they have done. The building shed was extended on the street side (towards the main office) in order for the yacht Secret to stick its "nose" out :).
  10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hallo Marmot,

Why makes things easy, when there is more difficult way. I believe, bureaucrats have to invent new and different rules and regs just to feel important :rolleyes:.
    The most busy ones in the world are the European Commission. They invent rules nobody really wants and needs at all. Next year, they want to regulate the maximum power consumption of household vacuum cleaners !!!!!