Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

12v71 impellor change

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mysue, Dec 21, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Those settings are for generator sets (see the very top of the page), however I did run a 75' Hatteras with 12v71's that used the generator set setting. There is a seperate section in that same DD book, that is for marine engines and the same injectors for the same engine will sometimes have a different injector height.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Top of the page is for generators, just below that it states "all others"
    ,rc
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but in the same DD book, there should be a seperate section for marine applications. I don't have the book here, but I've seen it in there. But also over the years, J+T, Convington and others sometimes used injector settings that did not match what the factory DD book said so sometimes you've got to be careful. If it's running good it's best to measure what the injectors are currently at and compare it to the book.
  4. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

Does anybody know the reason for the injector height setting?
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Timing
  6. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

As Gary knows, (because we discussed this on another site), my 12V71TI from my Bertram 54 was just overhauled on the stand in the shop by one of the masters of the trade. John Carey of Carey's Diesel in Leipsic DE. My engines like most of the high output 12V71TI engines in the Bertram's were Key Power conversions. Mine use the 9215P injectors and John set the injector height to 1.500

Attached is another chart with some additional information on Injector Timing. As you can see, the 9215P injector was not even made at the time which adds to the difficulty of interpreting the book!

Attached Files:

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I thought you were going to have it rebuilt by J+T. What made you decide to switch to someone else?
  8. Ormond Bert54

Tony Selby at Johnson & Towers initially agreed to take the job. Then, when he found out it was a basket case of parts left by Central Marine, he flat out refused to get involved.

Central Marine took a year and $25,000 to remove the engine from my boat and leave it as a pile of parts. Ultimately I had to sue Central Marine for replevin just to get my parts back!

John Carey took my engine from a basket case of parts left by Larry Cress at Central Marine to properly overhauled and back in my boat in 35 days. John is a good man.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you after all of the nonsense you went through.
  10. Ormond Bert54

Let's not forget this entire fiasco started with a 2010 $65,000 in-hull overhaul of this engine by John Fitzgerald's Saunders Yachtworks of Orange Beach, Alabama. That engine failed as I took delivery and motored away from the dock!

John's Fitzgerald of Saunders Yachtworks says "there is more to the story than that".

Since I have sued his company for $157,000, he will have the opportunity to tell his side of the story in detail! I'm looking forward to hearing his side of the story. Up till now, they have expressed that they are "sorry this happened".
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It sure seems like you have had the run around with this whole deal.

Is this the engine that was written about on here a while ago that had fretting liners or oval liner bores?

Now you have had all this work done to the one engine -- How is the other one?
  12. Ormond Bert54

Yes .. the honing job by Saunders was so bad that 3 of the bores had to be bored to .020 over! As John Carey stated ... "this work was done by animals". Those animals were Saunders Yachtworks of Orange Beach Alabama.

I have the cylinder heads, the liners and all if the parts Saunders used in the $65,000 overhaul. The liners have massive rust spots on their exterior from the poor fit between the liner and the block.

Mike