Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Westport

12 V92 Ta's and DDEC, no throttle in gear on one engine..

Discussion in 'Engines' started by captsam54, May 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Yes.. If you look at the schematic, you will see that there 3 12 v batteries on each engine.. 2 are in series for the 24 volt system.. and the other is for the 12 DDEC system.. The "House" batteries are the 2 located in the fwd/center...

From what I can gather. the constavolt sends the power thru to the 12's in series... and the 12 constavolt sends power to the 12's for the engines and the "House" batteries...

Also tied into the system are the 2 "Load Equalizers" on the hull above each set of batteries. This with the constavolts power the 24 and 12 volt batteries for the DDEC system....

Kinda of like going around your assh*le to get to your elbow.. But it did work good at one time.. I would love to upgrade my 12 DDEC to 24.. as I understood they did later on because of that 12 power drain problem for running the DDEC..

Someone correct me if I am wrong...:)

Attached Files:

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

So if I get this right...you are relying on the generator and a battery charger to charge the 12v battery needed to run the DDEC?

If so, this is just plain stupid... There should be a 12 v alternator on the engine to charge the DDEC battery.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen worse, but I agree totally.

I used to run a 58' Striker that had shraeder bellows electronic air controls. It had 2 motorcycle batteries to power the controls, that needed a battery charger which plugged into a GFI outlet in the engine room, and generator to charge them. It also needed an air compressor to power the solenoids and of course a generator to run that as well...... talk about a nightmare and a myriad of ways to lose your controls. Ohhhh, but it did have a backup hynautic controls that were located underneath the chart table, the problem was you had to go into the engine room and remove the linkages from the air solenoids and then install different linkages to go to the hydraulic actuaters.
  4. captsam54

captsam54 Member

LOL. no sorry.. The alternators take over (well they are supposed to, If I can ever get her to run up under load) and start charging at 1000 rpm.. The constavolts are only supposed to come on line if it detects low voltage in the 24 and 12 volt system.. They don't do that now... (at least the 24 does not do it correctly)
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ok So the 12v batteries which power the DDEC are charged by alternators? Good!!

I did a quick delivery this week on a 70 with Kobelt pneumatic controls. Great system except that on this boat they were powered by an 120v compressor. Loose the compressor which we did because on a leak in an actuator and you are left with no engine controls! Had to run 8 hours with trannies and rpm set using nylon ties.... Apparently nobody thought having engine driven compressors would be a good idea...
  6. kelpy

kelpy New Member

I have a red set just like those. Where are your emergency shutdown solenoids?
    Mine have a 12 V alternator on the stb. engine so it gets started first. The port engine has a 24 V alternator.
  7. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Update

Hello, all.. Update... I swapped the TRS and trans oil pressure and temp sensors from port to stdb on the owners recommendation and found the TRS and pressure sensors to be bad... I also suspect my low coolant level and fuel pressure sensor to be bad also...

Where is the best place to buy replacement sensors??

Still working on the constavolt replacement issue...
  8. captsam54

captsam54 Member

16V92 TA's..??? What year?? w/ DDEC 3 ??, I have not looked at the alternators yet but will today.. (sorry to say.. bad on my part)

And I will check out where my emergency shutdown solenoids are...
  9. kelpy

kelpy New Member

Mine are 1996 with DDEC 3.

My alternators are turned on by a fuel pressure senderr. The sender is on the secondary fuel filter housing. I had one of those go bad not long ago and the 12V alternator wouldn't charge.
  10. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Have not been able to see where my alternators kick in .. Have not been able to run them at that high of RPM yet... Here is my emergency shutoff solenoid.. It is the old style w/ the rack rod to connect the 8+8 cylinders.. Newer style has 2 solenoids...

Attached Files:

11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Get rid of this battery equalizer asap. I know of at least two instances where they've gone bad and burned the boats they were in, most recently in a 2000 54 Bertram that I had.
  12. captsam54

captsam54 Member

WOW.. I will have to do some serious research into this.. I wonder if I can just disconnect the leads without disrupting the DDEC system....
  13. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Is this thread worth revitilazing, or should I start a new one??

Working, back w/ the old boss on the Boomer here and again and still has DDEC issues... Both engines have since been rebuilt, the stdb runs fine but the port will not fire sense sea trials.... LOL.. White smoke so getting fuel but no bang...

16V92 w/ DDEC lll's....
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Hows the coolant level in the one that wont start?
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

With your long history of fun & troubles, I have to ask??? Rebuilds?? What did they find?? (not much?) and when your port failed, did you call back the builders??
    If your having DDEC issues (??) Why was there a rebuild??
    I think it's time for you to book two seats down from Jax FL to fix your problems. If your throwing money at it, I want to be the solution and the fix (and paid).
    ,Ralph
  16. kelpy

kelpy New Member

Emergency stop air shutters closed?
  17. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Just fine.. It has not run long enough from the rebuild to bother turning on the recharge canister valve....
  18. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Nope... Checked, and manually shut down and reset....
  19. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Update on the DDEC problem

There have been many suggestions.... I have not been on the boat since last October when the stdb engine started blowing white smoke while on the sea trials on the port rebuild...

Since I was there, the stdb has been rebuilt... All neww cilinder liners etc.
    SEALS were the main thing... (92 series) from the boat sitting so long...

Anyway, the stdb engine runs great now w/ no codes.. The port engine waited patiently for the stdb to get rebuilt, and then started throwing codes.. The owner had people w/ computers down and they tested everything and did sea trials.... It was decided the the harness was bad.... They laid the new harness over the old one and plugged everything in... Great.. The engine started and ran w/ no codes..... SO, they take the old harness off and bolt the new one in.... IT won't start.... (white smoke showing fuel at the exhaust)...

Then they take and lay the old harness over the new one and plug that in.. Same thing....

So the new one is reconnected.... I have been back to the boat w/ the owner and have checked everything I can think of... It shown no codes on turning over.. (unless I have the TRS and SRS pulled then it will show a code).. Checked battery voltage on the 12 volt side and see no drop at the batts, and see a 12.7 to 10.9 drop while turning over... (The stdb does that and fires immediately).....

So now I am stumped and back here asking questions....
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Damaged connector, not in the new harness but on the motor side? Flaky ground causing the ecu to loose its mind?