Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Zincs?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by jerry bredow, Jan 27, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jerry bredow

jerry bredow Member

Does anyone know the size of the diver plate on the transom of a 1998 47' Post?
  2. porthole

porthole Member

I used a 6 x 12 plate without slots. I had two stainless studs through the hull that I drilled the plate to match.

And since you're in Jersey - I'm in Jersey, maybe we could make a deal ;)
    I still have at least one plate, several shaft zincs and a bunch of rudder and trim tab zincs left from my boat. 1 3/4" shafts
  3. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I hope there not stainless studs. Hopefully bronze?
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Huh? I've always used stainless studs that were bonded and never had a problem.
  6. porthole

porthole Member

Post built it with stainless studs and I continued with them. I used bronze were it was appropriate, all the hardware when I replaced my rudder ports and other below water items etc.

The link above does not suggest you cannot use stainless studs to attach the 'divers dream hull plate.
    And near the bottom it would seem the writer contradicts himself.

Bronze and Stainless Steel Rudders, Rudder Hangings and Shaft. Brackets should also be bonded to the main anodes.

Trim Tabs should be protected with separate anodes.

Do not bond the same anode to ferrous and non-ferrous metals or stainless steel. Steel Rudders must be protected with separate anodes.

On my boat the transom plate was bonded to everything, including the prop shaft which was connected to the trans with a cast iron coupling.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Didn't mean to open a bag of worms nor rob the thread. But I think we could calmly chat some on this.
    I'm always eager to learn.

Nether web sight above reflects anything about bronze thru studs so I will try to explain my comment.
    Galvanic erosion is an electrical charge thru the water than can be measured in mil or even micro amps.
    Electrical connection between all underwater exposed material should use clean and low resistance wire and connects.
    Bronze hardware and bronze threaded rods were the norm I thought.
    My theorys;
    1) Stainless it self is not a good conductor of electricity.
    2) Stainless it self is of a higher Nobel metal material. It can eat zincs.
    3) In low oxygen areas, sealed in the transom material, the stainless can black rust and may fail.

Now to shoot my self in my foot; Why zinc stainless shafts?
    To keep the prop happy is my only (poor?) answer.
  8. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

9. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

The reason to not use SS studs vs bronze is simple crevice corrosion. If the SS studs are wet in the hull, they will simply waste due to depleted oxygen corrosion. The same occurs where the minute amount of water is trapped in the thread area where nuts thread on studs. In a practical sense, it takes years for there to be appreciable damage or the incidence of a diver twisting off a weakened stud. That is why wooden boat fastenings are either silicon bronze or galvanized. The fastenings all waste over time in wet wood, but SS is lost faster.
    If the SS studs are really bogged in with a good adhesive sealant, (5200, e.g.) there will be no water to corrode the portion going through the transom or hull. Stainless is a very good electrical conductor, as are either steel or chrome, the primary SS ingredients. Stainless is very susceptible to corrosion in areas where the oxygen has been depleted in the sea water or the water is stagnant. One area where it is becoming more common is on stainless prop shafts behind dripless seals on vessels that don't see much use. There's a downside to most things, so run your engines at least twice a month to force water into the shaft logs.
    Zimar makes very nice zincs and corrode in a much more uniform way than others. I've used them in the past and was very impressed with the appearance. I have heard that some "zincs" are actually alloys of different metals so they may be effective in different salinities in intertidal areas. Seattle has many boats shifting locations between the lakes and the Sound, and it used to be that "zincs" were changed to aluminum anodes, but that practice has declined because "zincs" seem to be effective in the lakes. The measure of zinc effectiveness is basically marine growth. If there is growth on the anode: it's not working. That can be because of poor bonding continuity, or the wrong anode material or metallurgy. An alloy anode of a mixture of zinc and aluminum will work well in salt or fresh. The down side is they "work" faster and must be changed more in salt water. Expect restrictions on zincs in the future, since there is often cadmium in zinc anodes, which is a restricted heavy metal.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The next time anybody gets a chance to Ohm out a stainless rod vs a Bronze rod, please report here.
    I have never done this myself but my old school training taught me the stainless rod will show a bit more resistance.
    Hence, stainless is not welcome in any electrical environment.
    When working in micro (MICRO) volts and amps, any extra resistance is not to desirable.

Thank you d_meister for expanding on my stainless black rust comment.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

ALL hardware for transom plate zincs is always stainless due to strength and corrosion resistance from what I've seen. The stainless bolts are 5200'd into the transom with one nut and washer that's never touched then the zinc and then another washer and nut. I have never seen a problem with it effecting how the bonding wires transfer to the zinc mounted on the other side.