Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Yard Reviews

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Steve Hubbard, Jan 26, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

I drive by A&J every day and the yard is usually full of yachts. I'm amazed at the size boats they haul given the tight confines of the approach canal and small turning basin in front of the yard. It is a busy place.

I went by Willis the other day in my center console and the docks and yard looked much less full than when it was owned by American Custom. There were no yachts in the covered floating dock area and only three or four under tents in the yard that I could see. But it looked neat and tidy.
  2. Steve Hubbard

Steve Hubbard New Member

It is nice to see the yard reviews coming in! Well done! I myself have yard work coming and am considering cracker boy and any other yards along the south east coast that can accommodate 120ton steel trawler. Ideally I would prefer close to Charleston SC, but so far my search had bought me well south. I think we as a collective voice can share our yard experiences to our fellow yachtsman influencing good choices and positive outcomes.
  3. b. dougherty

b. dougherty New Member

+1 for A&J...have been in there twice and both projects were done on time and to the estimate.
  4. wiredup

wiredup Member

Living in Va Beach, I use Bluewater in Hampton (safe harbor owns now) for my yard work. They are painting my hull right now. They service many motor yachts and sport fish alike. Craig, the service manager is great, very knowledgeable.
  5. CWV

CWV Member

I hope your experience continues to be a pleasant one. While they are capable of good work I know someone who wasn’t impressed when his invoice came in considerably higher than estimated after a recent change in yard ownership. Some sneaky things occurred with billing and suspect charges hitting his CC .
  6. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

It will be interesting to see how the big boys (Safe Harbor, etc) will do running boat yards. Marinas are one thing yards are quite another. Private equity and other big money outfits have been buying mechanical, plumbing, contractors in my home town. In my experience and observations trades based contractors struggle when management/ownership is dominated by bean counter accounting types. To me boat yards are essentially trades based contractors. Contracting is a different animal.
    gr8trn and Capt Ralph like this.
  7. CWV

CWV Member

Yep. You nailed it.
  8. wiredup

wiredup Member

Last year things were proper. Will examine the yard bill in a couple weeks. It's a very detailed invoice, so if something appears incorrect, I will be all over it. If I have ever questioned things before, they have been pretty honest about it. YMMV.
  9. denmer

denmer New Member

I want to give a second recommendation for Bluewater and in particular, Craig. The only issues Ive ever had with their billing was not getting one for work done.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member