Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Yacht Fires

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ychtcptn, Mar 15, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Two boats have gone up recently down here in the Caribbean!
    M/Y Miracle, around 100', I think Monte Fino? Went down off Puerto Rico.
    Today at Yacht Haven Grande, another 100' went up in flames right at the dock, then towed out to burn to the water line. Plenty of pics and video of this one online!
    Add in Camino Royal that went down a few weeks back, and its been a bad year down here!
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We, the boating public, never seem to hear the determination of cause. I know to some that seems like one is being nosy, but when you see several like you've described I think it could be educational and at least serve as a reminder of some of the things to be careful about.

Yes, it was a 2004 Monte Fino 84'. I think the name was Positive Energy, but perhaps it had been changed again.

In November there was a fire at a Seattle Marina in which 11 boats were burned. It was started by a candle.

I must say it appears on today's fire, the response was rapid and effective in isolating the boat and then addressing the fire.

Fire fighting was the least pleasant of any course we've taken. It was one that as you went through the exercises you had to remind yourself why you were doing it. I think we gained a lot of knowledge, but I know it made us more aware and more fearful. Hopefully a healthy regard for fires, but I definitely think of them and how we'd get everyone safely away if one did develop on our boat or at the marina we're docked. Wasn't that long ago we were at Yacht Haven Grande. Now the news has me looking around at the marina where we are today.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

4. leeky

leeky Senior Member

You don't say? ;)
  5. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I want to explain my response to Capt Bill11's post #3. When I viewed his post, it had nothing in it. So, I thought I'd make a silly comment. It turns out the joke was on me.:rolleyes:

I've been experimenting with ad blocking and tracking protection add-ons for Internet Explorer 11. I've since learned that an add-on called "Stop Google Tracking" blocks YouTube videos from even appearing. That add-on was enabled when I first viewed Capt Bill11's post. Lesson learned!

Also, I'll try to leave the humor to the comedians on YF; you know who you are.:p
  6. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

Your response makes more sense now, I watched the video twice with the sound cranked up thinking I missed something :p
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I did my Fire training at the Royal Naval Shipyard in Plymouth, England. Those are the chaps who will have to deal with aircraft and nuke sub fires if they ever happen.

They don't mess around. Day One put us in the Fire House, all blacked out, smoke filled and hot. You had to make your own way out using all the skills they taught you just 2 hours earlier. They don't work. They then teach you where you went wrong, and break down each reason as to why they don't work. Enlightening to say the least.

If you ever get the chance to do a proper course on fire training, jump on it.
  8. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I did USN firefighting school 3 times. No breathing device, fireman clothes, etc. Just normal shipboard clothes. All oil fires in confined spaces using water and various nozzles. Amazing what you can do with just water. On the last day they let us use foam. Fire was out in seconds.
    Most yachts are a fire waiting to happen. Wood paneling, drapes, propane, fuel tanks. I've seen one ship fire and one yacht explosion. Yacht was a propane leak. Owner started an engine in 65' boat and bang. It sank a boat on each side and damaged a dozen other boats. Owner didn't make it.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I really wish that investigation results were published as we can all learn from them

I will never have propane on my boat. Never. Ever. I saw the aftermath of a propane leak in a 50' sailboat years ago... All dead, deck lifted out from the hull. I don't cAre how many precautions and sfety devices you add... I ll cook and grill with electricity!!

Most of the fires not underway are usually electrical, only so much you cAn inspect. Some things can help like battery switches outside machinery spaces as well as Fireboys near electrical panels and batt chargers but usually it s all too late
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I saw one report into fires on commercial shipping. The single biggest cause of fires listed?

The toaster in the galley, I'm not kidding!
  11. olderboater

Nice to know we're not the only ones. Just no need for it and one less thing to worry about.
  12. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I believe you, Fish. While onboard my abode (safely moored here on my street), I woke up in the middle of the night to the odor of...something hot/burning...it was my toaster oven (kinda old...OK, it's an antique) with cal-rods a vivid bright red, which is rarely used, and was certainly not used anytime around then.
    I now unplug until it's needed.
    Note to Pascal:
    I now trust my gas stove more than that new-fangled electrical appliance.
  13. olderboater

I read an article today about the dangers of toasters and toaster ovens in homes.