Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Where to buy diesel Greece or Egypt

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Kevin Wallis, Mar 31, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin Wallis

Kevin Wallis New Member

Hi My name is Kevin Wallis i am new here but looks like a great place to be. We from South Africa and have recently decided to go on early retirement at age 50 so as to be able to do some fun things before getting lazy.

My wife and I are in discussion with Peter who owns a 57 foot ketch and is looking to share costs and workload
    to sail to South Africa . The diesel in greece is expensive but trust worthy .We were wondering if anyone knows if its worth getting the diesel in Egypt and puttig a good filtration system in place.If so which would be the best port to fillup at.

Engine is 150 Hp MAN D6660LE (D228)
    Main engine.jpg Starboard side view.jpg

Any futher pointers for this trip would be greatly appretiated as this is a first for us and are doing this trip in faith rather than experience.
    Route distance chart.jpg

Thanks in advance for all replies as im aware not many people have time to just answer arbitary questions all day.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Have you thought about Cypress or Turkey?

A YF member, T.K lives in Egypt and could give you details about fuelling there.

Oh, and it looks a fantastic trip to do.
  3. Kevin Wallis

Kevin Wallis New Member

Thanks Fish
    The boats in Greece at the moment so we were planning to fill up there but will pm T.K and see what he thinks thanks.

Admin Edit: Graphic Removed. Nice try!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  4. Kevin Wallis

Kevin Wallis New Member

No problem my appologies.
    This is a big issue for us at the moment our trip depends on it.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

How much fuel does that vessel carry? I would suggest that you carry as many spare filters as you can and if possible fit a Racor water separator before you go.

I should also warn you in case you have not been keeping up with the news that your planned route is not the safest one by any means particularly in a slow moving vessel like that.
  6. Kevin Wallis

Kevin Wallis New Member

We are able to carry 4000 litres.
    Is the fuel in Greece dirty as well or should we only worry if the fuel is obtained in Egypt .
    Im sure we will keep plenty spares regardless was in town today looking at our options .
    I will enquire about water separator Thanks.
    As far as the safety goes like i said in my intro its a leap of faith but Peter does get updates on the situation there .
    Where would be the greatest concern to you.

Still getting mixed info on cost of refuelling in Egypt.Apparently there are barge fees and so forth.
    I also not sure how to find YF member T.K on this forum to start a conversation with him .

Thanks again
  7. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I found you Kevin.

If you buy fuel in Port Said you will pay US$ 1.20 - 1.30 per liter plus a barge fee of US$ 200 . If you buy fuel in Suez, you will pay US$ 0.90 per liter. These are the rates for foreign flagged vessels. The diesel price for localy registered vessels is US$ 0.25 per liter. Plan a stop in Hurghada which is 170nm south of Suez and I will be able to assist you.

Send me a PM with your contact number and I will get in touch with you.
  8. Kevin Wallis

Kevin Wallis New Member

Hi T.K.

Thanks for your kind reply I can't find where to pm you and have started a conversation with you if that's the way .
    I don't think I'm allowed to put my number here .

I hope you get my number please feel free to call anytime my phone is always on.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Click on TK's Avatar or name and then click on start conversation.
  10. Kevin Wallis

Kevin Wallis New Member

Thanks that what I did .I was just not sure it was correct.
  11. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I received your private message. I will contact you shortly by phone. It is a pleasure to help you and support you in any way we can during your venture.