Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

What to pay the crew?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Fortunata, Mar 5, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

The right pay

I am not trying to pay to little; I am just trying to figure out what is fair. Someone was saying $1000 per foot (which I have heard before) and about $35k for the chef/stu/deckhand. I think this is reasonable in today's economy?
  2. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

$600,000 a year????

What kind of ship were you running for that? I would just drive my own boat if I had to pay that kind of money :)
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yep, thats about right.
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Yep, and like I said, if cooking is also a primary duty it goes up to around $45k. You should be able to find good people for that.
  5. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

I am going to add a percentage of any charters for the crew. That should give them a chance to make money if I do charter it out. I can not afford to go more then $36,000 for that position at this time even though she does cook.
  6. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

the way things are going in the ''yachting world'', make a ridiculous low ball offer.....then stand by your phone....it will ring all day and nite...;)
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You may have missed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFux2AAMso
    You don't want your phone ringing all day with crew that will leave you behind on a sinking boat;) . One call from the right crew is better.:)
  8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It's good to know if you're going to charter or not up front. If you already have crew, no worries, but you often get different people for charter boats and private boats. Some prefer one to the other, and operations come from a slightly different point of view. Operating a charter boat you have to focus more on the business aspect, where as with a private boat, the focus (of the budget and vessel "add ons") is what ever the owner wants it to be from safety to fishing to diving or whatever. In those cases you want to find someone who has extra knowledge in the area of your greatest concern.
  9. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

That is $36,000 for the stew/cook/deckhand and $72,000 for the Captain. That is $108,000 a year.
  10. Henning

Henning Senior Member

If they're a couple, that's fair enough. If they do an extraordinary job for you, you can keep them from jumping ship after a year with bonuses. If not, they'll pick up a gig on another boat a bit bigger that pays a bit more and you get a new crew at the same wage.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Are you, as the owner of a 72', going to spend $110k on crew wages in the first year? Any successful trips with the family yet? Good charter record with repeat business?

A month by month deal seems more realistic to me, though an honest, open deal with the crew up-front should be the way to go for the long term.

Fish
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or if they're making a percentage of each charter and are making good charter tips, it's enough.......I had a 4 night/ 5 day charter on a yacht his size and they tipped me $2500 (split it with the mate) but was very happy with the whole outcome.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Typically here in the US, they're paid every two weeks or monthly or weekly whatever the percentage of that comes out to. So if they don't work out they got paid weekly, but not a lump sum of the whole year.......
  14. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

I pay bi-monthly.
  15. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

You pay every other month, 6 times a year? And your crew are fine with that?
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think he means twice a month......I wouldn't want to get paid every two months......I've been paid once a month before and was ok with that......but I'm an exception and most people want to get paid twice a month or every two weeks
  17. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Heck J,

If you are paying me $75,000 a year to run a little 72' you can pay in pink toutous and baubbles as long as the Bank accepts them. Just to get paid from owners is nice bonus sometimes. The more remote the harbour, the more remote the chance of getting paid.

And yes, I've been in some very dodgy harbours and a pink toutou may be the currency of choice. :eek:
  18. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

I am the owner of the 72 foot. I am new to this boat and having a full time crew. I can change things at any time. The idea was to charter it out to help pay expenses as opposed to not chartering it out and having a part time crew?
  19. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

Sorry; 24 times a year or twice a month.
  20. Fortunata

Fortunata New Member

It mainly stays in Fort Lauderdale which is a major port for yachts.

P.S. it is not that little. It has 4 cabins, 5 heads and two crew cabins.