Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Delta

UFOs?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by MountainGuy, Jan 24, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

I'm following the current arkea Ultim Challenge (100ft sailing tri, solo, non stop round the world). 2 of the participants damaged their foils due to collisions with unidentified objects. My question now:

Does anyone of you has first hand experience with such collisions?
    Are motor yachts less effected than sail boats?
    And how is it with commercial ships? I assume, that a floating container would not go through the hull, but what about the prop? Or are they deflected by the swell?
    Do you avoid certain areas?

Thx!
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

By UFOs do you mean Underwater Floating Objects?
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It’s pretty common in ocean racing, last Vendée Globe 2 or 3 Imocas has to retire after hitting things. This time around the Ultims have a set of sensors up the mast combining radar and FLIR. But at 30-40kts…

I don’t think it s worry with large ships but it is a concern for us. One of the reason I rarely run on plane at night.
    rocdiver likes this.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think seeing sailors with helmets is just crazy...
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Passenger ferries in the Hawaiian Islands with foils had to discontinue certain routes.
    Hitting to many whales.

The US Navy has dropped all of their foil craft and designs, one of the many reasons; hitting to many Underwater Floating Objects.

6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They have added a number of whale exclusion zones for this race where they re not allow to go

as to helmets… 35kts in 12 foot seas thousands of miles from a hospital although they don’t seem to be wearing any. That’s for the Americas Cup
  7. Capt.Evenkeel

Capt.Evenkeel New Member

Ships are not affected by submerged or semisubmerged containers. A deep draft ocean-going ship will have on average have a draft of 25-32 feet. The Containers will be pushed/displaced by the ship before meeting the running gear. In the unlikely event of a dead-center impact at the bow, the container could possibly damage the bow/bulbous bow.