Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander

Trumpy Yachts

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Manusel

Manusel Member

Underway Nadesah possible 80'x17' Mathis under const. in 1920  3-9-0 transom (2).JPG
  2. Manusel

Manusel Member

She was named Sangamo for most of her long life.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Manusel, in the link pictures " Friendship" has Detroit diesels, do you know what the originals were ?
  4. Manusel

Manusel Member

Yes, they were twin 6 cylinder valve-in-head Standards.
  5. Manusel

Manusel Member

Check the illustration on the previous page headed "Under Construction" for views of these engines.
  6. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

there was a boat very similar to the boat shown in the first post in this thread tied up next to to us in N.Palm Beach back in the late 60's.....A flybridge was added by Spencer Boat Works....I recall a debate on whether they should put on the Trumpy scroll because it seemed the boat was not finished by Trumpy.
    Any body recall that ??
  7. Capt. Bandana

Capt. Bandana New Member

With news of the passing of John Glenn today, I am reminded of my several visits to Chesapeake Harbor Marina, Annapolis, back in the 90s. I met John Glenn there aboard his Trumpy yacht on one of the T-heads on the entrance channel. I'm afraid that my ancient memory will not recall the vessel's name not the name of his captain - a jolly soul with a white beard much like mine. He carried a little more girth than I did, however. Help from anyone out there?
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

AFAIK John Glenn never owned a Trumpy. The yacht that he kept at Chesapeake Harbor was a 66' Pacemaker named "SENIRAM" which is MARINES spelled backwards.
  9. Capt. Bandana

Capt. Bandana New Member

Okay, thanks for straighten me out on this. I had been the captain on a 64' Pacemaker before the Broward but I didn't remember Glenn's yacht looking at all the same.

After having admitted my mistake, I look forward to keeping up with things Trumpy on this forum.
  10. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Was your 64' Pacemaker built of wood? The 66' Pacemaker that John Glenn owned was fiberglass. The profiles of the 2 boats was quite different.
  11. 1blueheron

1blueheron New Member

Post 295 mentions the Luneta. As great as it is to see some of these old gals be restored and kept in Bristol condition, the opposite is also inevitable. It is with sadness, I report the the Luneta, if it was actually the Luneta (some disparity amongst pictures and information) has been reduced to a pile of rubble by a trackhoe this past summer.

My first encounter with this old gal was in the spring of 2014. I was invited to visit a friend in Marshallberg, NC. Across the harbor from his place was this derelict yacht. I was informed that it was the sistership of the USS Sequoia and had been abandoned there by a previously well intending owner who pulled it up on the old marine railway to restore it and then due to either poor health, financial distress or perhaps both had left it. The boat was in bad shape. Temporary scaffolding had been built around it and covered with canvas which was deteriorated badly. Somebody had literally severed the ship in half with a chainsaw at its mid section. This was all very strange to me, why anyone would have mutilated this piece of history but there it sat. Most of the interior had been stolen, or removed and likely re-purposed if it wasn't securely fastened. The scaffolding was unsafe and there was really no good way to board it short of an extension ladder. A no trespassing sign was stuck on the side of it to keep curiosity seekers from getting hurt. It was obvious to see that it would probably never float again. I tried to do a little research on it but information was sketchy and is still a bit in-congruent. It was hard for me to believe a yacht that was obviously commissioned by someone of wealth and importance could more or less just fall into relative obscurity with little to no interest or value.

It wasn't long after that a coastal storm came through and blew the top off the boat and tore the remaining canvas and scaffolding down. Then this past spring, a trackhoe was brought in to tear the remaining hull apart and pile it up to be burned. When I saw this happening, I figured I would salvage what I could. I managed to retreive some douglas fir and teak from the wreck as well as some mahogany trim. It was very difficult to salvage and much of it was still quite sound. Deck coaming and some other peices of molding were salvaged as well. All of these peices will find a new home in a small boat I am building. A part of the old gals soul will live on and once again go to sea.

I would love to have any further information on her past owners and how she ended up in Marshallberg if anyone out there knows as well as confimation that this is truly Luneta. Here are some pictures I took when I first saw her in May of 2014.

Luneta1.jpg Luneta1.jpg Luneta2.jpg Luneta1.jpg Luneta2.jpg Luneta3.jpg Luneta4.jpg

In these pictures it appears there are 6 porthole windows forward and two portholes aft with the forward all being the same size and the aft having one large and one small. There are then ten square windows in the midsection. In other pictures I have seen possibly identified as Luneta, there have been different numbers or styles of windows and the proportions appear to be somewhat different. One of them being in post #295, pictures on the Smith Marine Railway, Inc. Facebook site and several others from old magazine adds.

This is my first post on this website so forgive me if I did something wrong. Just trying to share and obtain information on this old boat. I have pictures of the rubble pile she was reduced to but it seemed irreverent to post here.
  12. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I know someone who knows who this is. Get back to you soon.
  13. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Her name was Lynetta. Last report was a section of her bow still exists providing shelter for some homeless people.
  14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  15. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Beautiful.
    I'd never think to put something like that yacht on Craigslist !
  16. Andrew Foley

Andrew Foley Guest

My father Jay Foley owned Sangamo in the late 1970s thru the early 1980s. Attached are pictures of what she looked like then. It's difficult to see the what shape she is in now. Does anyone know how to contact the current owner?

Attached Files:

17. Andrew Foley

Andrew Foley Guest

Here is Sangamo in 1976.

Attached Files:

18. Manusel

Manusel Member

19. Manusel

Manusel Member

Attached Files:

20. Manusel

Manusel Member

I'm pretty sure this is the same boat. the two differently sized ports at the stern are the giveaway. I'm sure there were originally three equally sized ports at the stern.