Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

troubleshooting perplexing AC shore power/inverter set up

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by incoming, Dec 11, 2023.

1. incoming

incoming Member

hello - I'm troubleshooting an AC power problem with a new-to-me 2000 era sportfish, where all of the circuits that are powered by the inverter will not function on shorepower. They function on inverter power, or on generator power, but not shore power.

I believe the culprit is a failed low voltage transformer, but, before I simply replace it, I'm trying to figure out why the transformer is there in the first place.

Here's how the boat appears to be wired:

• 240v/50A black/red/white/green shore power comes into the engine room and goes up to the main panel in the saloon.
    • Before the AC power switch on the panel, a 3-wire, 240V power feed (white hot/black hot/green) splits off and goes to a low voltage transformer (5kVA, 240 primary/120 secondary - ACME T253014S) with two outputs. I have not been able to find where this power feed split occours, but I know it is before the main panel because the circuit that feeds the transformer with shore power is hot even when the main panel showe power AC switch is off, or set to genset power, provided the boat is connected to shower power and the pedestal feed is on.
    • One output of the transformer goes to a genset/shore power automatic transfer switch. The output of the automatic transfer switch goes to the 120v input of the charger/inverter, and the output of the inverter goes to an inverter bypass switch.
    • The other output of the transformer also goes to the inverter bypass switch, presumably allowing you to power the circuits normally powered by the inverter with shore power.
    Does this routing make sense? It seems needlessly complicated. If the point is to feed the inverter with 120v shorepower, why send 240v shore power to a transformer, which then knocks it down to 120V? Why not just skip the need for a transformer, and route one phase of the 240V shorepower directly to the genset/shore power automatic transfer switch?
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

The low voltage transformer is present to provide voltage necessary for inverter controls, for a control unit to communicate with a contactor, for instance. It would seem that your transfer switch is not receiving the signal to shift from one source to the other.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

It's not uncommon to have an inverter bypass so you can power the circuits normally fed by the inverter when the inverter is off or if it fails. But why is yours done before the main shore power switch on your panel? Is it because there were no spare 120v breakers on your panel so they tapped in the way they did? Even so, why didn't they come off after the main switch using the same manner they did? To each his own but I prefer all a/c loads to only be powered after the shore power or gen switch. So you basically have power going to your inverter and the fed circuits anytime you are on shore or gen with no way to secure those without shutting everything else on the boat off? I wouldn't like that.
  4. incoming

incoming Member

It’s more than this - the inverter also needs AC voltage to charge the batteries when they are not needed for supplying power.

The transfer switch, as far as I can tell, doesn’t function off a discrete signal - it switches automatically based on which input circuit is energized. Which in turn begs the question of what happens when both the genset and transformer are sending it power. I don’t know the answer to that..
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

A switch is just a switch. It needs to be told what to do, either by a controller or manually by a human. The controller system runs on low voltage and has a processor running a program sending signals to various contractors while monitoring various voltages and the presence of current. A switch can't simply switch due to a magnetic field of recognized current. What int he world would it do when it sensed power from multiple sources?

An inverter takes AC power from your power sources and uses it to convert to DC to charge your batteries as well as potentially to convert back to AC via a clean wave and frequency (if so equipped). It passes AC through to power your circuits, but then it grabs power from the batteries to convert the DC to AC in the event that you lose power. There is a lot going on, and it needs a controller to command the parts and functions.
  6. incoming

incoming Member

i understand what you are saying. For the “automated transfer switch” to be “automated” it has to have a controller that has some sort of logic implemented. My point is that, the reason I suspect the transformer, and not the transfer switch, is because the transformer is not outputting any voltage to the transfer switch (whereas the genset does).
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

yes, that’s a simple voltage test. If there is no output from the transformer yet power incoming, bad transformer. Again, the transformer isn’t smart. Power in and power out. It’s energized by the controller, perhaps. Otherwise it’s a master transformer providing power to several systems in the unit. My Atlas has multiple transformers and controllers.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you confirm you really have an auto transfer system?
    This may take some hands on tracing.
    Wire fox and patience.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I believe you can have an auto transfer switch with a default if you have multiple incoming power sources. Example: my Motorhome (yes, I realize this is Yacht Forums :)) has an auto transfer switch for shore power or generator. If there is incoming power from both sources at the same time, it defaults and selects the generator. I don't see why you couldn't have something similar.
    incoming likes this.
  10. incoming

incoming Member

here’s pics

One pic is the automated transfer switch, inverter, and the bypass switch (mounted on the bulkhead)

Other pic is the transformer, with the access cover removed

Attached Files:

11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

First; Great place to install ACv equipment :confused:.
    So, what does that manual transfer switch do?

Oh, by a few other decals, I know that inverter box.
    Pretty good up to 3kw. Square and full wave forms.

I don't see the big path between these devices and your panels.
    Or, is that one of the issues??

Is there any support from the previous owner or surveyor??
  12. incoming

incoming Member

in the foreground of the image with the inverter there’s a black box - “southwire automatic transfer switch”

In the background of the same image is a box mounted on the bulkhead. It has an inverter (output) on/off breaker and a 3 way switch - on/off/bypass for the inverter

If you are inclined to zoom into the images, or if you can even zoom in that far, you may see I’ve labeled the wires with sharpie. But the basic AC flow is

shore power to transformer (and separately to main panel)
    transformer to transfer switch and bypass switch (2 outputs)
    Genset to transfer switch (and separately to main panel)
    Transfer switch to inverter
    Inverter to bypass switch
    Bypass switch to main panel
  13. incoming

incoming Member

14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your going to trust your life on this??
    Get a real tech on board.
  15. incoming

incoming Member

Eh..what’s not to trust? The question is what happens when it gets input from both the genset and shore power, the companies website says it preferentially selects genset, similar to dockmaster’s RV. in fact, it may be the same unit
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I did not install it.
    Somebody I know did not install it.
    You did not install it.
    Anybody you know install it?
    From your pictures, anybody it their rite mind did not install it.

So, your going to tell me from a web ad, it should work??
  17. incoming

incoming Member

No…I’m just saying I now know how that particular box is supposed to work

Relative to your suggestion to get a “real tech” out to the boat, that may well be where I end up. But my experience is that hiring someone to work on your boat without actually knowing what needs to be done is a recipe for large bills and bad outcomes. And it also doesn’t help you understand the boat any better for when the time comes you are in a situation where something breaks and no one is around to help
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This we understand very well and agree.
    But a few pictures and a web sales page is not fixing anything either.

Is there any logs, records or schematics of this with your ship to help?
    From post #11 "Is there any support from the previous owner or surveyor??"

19. incoming

incoming Member

Unfortunately no help from the PO - no contact with him at all. And nothing in his limited logs or records. I did have it surveyed - this same problem was happening when at the dock where it was surveyed. It was explained by the seller as a pedestal problem. Then, it worked fine when we overnighted in palm beach - which I thought confirmed the original “pedestal problem” diagnosis. Then, when we arrived in Melbourne, we saw the same problem we saw at survey - no power to inverter fed circuits unless on generator or inverter power.

I could get an electrical survey done by Ward’s. It would be very expensive and I’d have to pay 4 hours of round trip travel but they are the only ones I know of who I’d trust to dive into something like this. It would be nice if I could narrow it down a bit more so I could fix it myself or at least get it to where I can hire someone local and know enough about what needs to be done to make sure it’s done right. I still don’t know whether this is a “fix what’s broken” situation or a “rip everything out and start all over” situation
  20. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

What happens when it gets input from both? Easy enough to answer (if this system is working). Turn on shore power, and turn off generator, system should select the shore. Once that's confirmed, simply go start the generator and see if it grabs that input selection. But it won't work for you to test, because you state that it won't work on shore. So why be concerned about that at this point?

You have signal wires feeding the auto switch. One is communication for shore, and that side isn't working. The other side is for gen, and apparently that side is working. So you're back to why is the auto switch not getting a signal to switch to shore input.

You need to measure communication (low voltage) activity. Is there power feeding into the transformer? Is there power coming out of it? You have contractors inside that box. they have to be getting signals to engage. I'm not clear why you're sharing a photo of the vessel power transformer, however. Acme is not your inverter nor is it your transfer switch system. Acme is AC in and AC out.