Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

Training - On the Sea & Book

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Aggie, Apr 2, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Aggie

Aggie New Member

First, I apologize for my ignorance! I come from the aviation side of things; if you want to become a pilot you go to the airport or the Internet and find a flight school or instructor. You spend time in Ground School then spend countless hours with an instructor before you are ever released to cause mayhem in the skies. It appears boating is quite different. You buy a boat, someone throws the keys at you and you can go out the same day with no training. Even the states that require a license, it seems that they only require taking a written test, (that you can take multiple times a day, if necessary) with no proof of actually ability in the boat.

I am seriously considering purchasing a boat, (40-foot) and I would NEVER consider not being fully trained in the "rules of the road" and safe operation of the boat. The idea of hitting someone/something or sinking in calm seas, is not my idea of a great afternoon. I can find very few schools - and most of them are classroom only. Are there any other options?

If, for instance, I purchase a boat in Oregon - do I put an ad out for an experienced captain in the area to train me on my boat or are there companies that do this, that I am missing? Assuming that I am inexperienced, how many hours would it take me to become competent? What would hiring an experienced person cost, (I see where there are day rates to hire a captain that vary between $300 to $500, so I would divide that by 24 to get the hourly rate?)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The best way to go about it, would be to read Chapmans book on seamanship, then take a USCG auxilary safety class before starting. Then at that point find a yacht broker you trust, many times they will have a Captain that they use to shuffle their boats around that does training. You could also try asking dockmasters at good marina's in the area for a recommendation as well and see whose name comes up most.

You can have a great Captain whose a horrible teacher. Or a great teacher whose a horrible Captain. You want both.
  3. Aggie

Aggie New Member

Capt J, Thanks for the input. Your last paragraph sums up life so accurately. I have met so many great professionals in different fields that are crappy teachers. It reminds me of an old saying we use, "those that do, do...those who can't, teach. Those that can't do or teach - evaluate."