Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Stuffing box: leaks while off, seals while on?

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by joules, Jan 1, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. joules

joules New Member

Hi All,

I have a 1983 WD Schock Newport Electric Packet (AKA Duffy Boat). I recently rebuilt the stuffing box rope seal, and I have been trying to adjust it to achieve a slight drip running and mostly drip free stopped. I can only get the opposite to occur. I'm wondering if I already damaged the wax impregnated flax rope seal from heat since it hasn't been dripping while underway. It drips more while its not turning.

I need to replace my stave bearing, so I was considering installing a mechanical seal/dripless seal and get rid of this stuffing box all together while I had the shaft removed.

Any thoughts on what might be going on with the stuffing box? It seemed to go together perfectly. I have plenty more rope seal I can throw at it if you think its over heated and damaged.
  2. bliss

bliss Senior Member

I suspect the packing material. NOTHING is "just like" W D Gore packing! (West to the contrary). I would try repacking with Gore; making sure I have the right size. If size is in doubt grab a handful of drill bits, lay one parallel along the shaft. Keep trying 'til you find the bit that just fits between the drive shaft and the stuffing box. That gives you your stuffing material size. Whatever size that just fits in the open area. Repack. I would Google around for more info on Gore. Maybe look at YouTube as well. If you redo it clean out as much grease as possible. With Gore you can usually tighten to no drip and not overheat. I have for years and with no issues. Let us know what you do and how it works. Good luck!
  3. bliss

bliss Senior Member

P.S. When I first started using Gore, long ago, I spoke with a Gore rep and he said, absolutely no grease or as little old residue as possible. It can screw up the material and lead to excessive dripping.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I too love the Gore GFO packing. You're supposed to have one drip every 20 seconds while the boat is stationary, not while it is running. You can then take the boat out for a while at cruise and see what temp the stuffing box is......