Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Steel hull zincs - screws or welding

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Noa Ramot, Sep 5, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Noa Ramot

Noa Ramot New Member

hello all ,
    I have a 1959' vintage 60ft feadship with steel hull , and I will lift it up to do some below water line maintained and replace zincs,
    As it is set up now the zincs are fixed with bolts to the hull , is welding better ?
    Anyone have good link to read about that ?
    Tnx
  2. Captain Zemo

Captain Zemo Senior Member

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, you want to be able to change the zincs in the water. Not have to haul the boat to change a wear item like zincs. As long as the bolts are making good contact, they are fine.
  4. Captain Zemo

Captain Zemo Senior Member

Capt J is 200 +% correct. Keep the bolts setup, and forget about welding Noa Ramot. Just get new zincs and bolt them up.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Bolts are way better. Welding is a pain especially if the opposite side of the hull is not easily accessible . Recommend you chase the threads on the studs and use some marine grade never seez and lock washers when you bolt on new zincs. If you are blasting and painting the hull just cut some short pieces of an old hose that fits snug on the studs and that will protect them while you blast and paint.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I always enjoy learning, I would never have thought welding zinc sacrifice plates to a steel hull would be efficient or even possible
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I deal with weld-on zincs regularly. They are very typical on commercial, steel hulls. The zincs come with steel tabs to weld to the hull. But as mentioned, bolt-on are much easier provided they are done correctly.
  8. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Welding is a pain. I prefer bolts