Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Sportfishing boats for cruising?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Altitude, Jan 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yep Liam, I know.
    But would you dare bashing into a 4m+ head sea with a Shamal, even with nobody else onboard? o_O :D

PS: that's the boat of which I previously posted a photo, for folks in the US who are unlikely to know it.
  2. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I would never dare bashing in nothing of that sort even in a tug boat.
    If I get it that is another story, and the really worry is always when you start to get close to land rather then out at sea, at least in my experience.
    The sea tends to get worse once the the depth starts to reduce, and you are getting closer to land.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Neither would I of course, but if given a choice between a Shamal and Vervece - just to name a well known 60 years old (no less!) tugboat that pops to my mind - I'm sure you'd pick the latter, as I also would.
    But this is the crux of the matter: as opposed to you and me, there are folks out there who think they could cruise in CE-A sea conditions with either a Shamal or a Darwin 107', just because they are both CE-A certified... :confused:
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Just to correct you, I am sure you are well aware and probably got lost in Forum-Replying.
    Once you go above 24 meters LLL, CE-category is out of the window. The Darwin will be fully classed, (RINA,BV,ABC,Lloyds etc) which is more the way of doing things in those sizes.
    Also I think CDM never had a model with 24 meters LLL.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Correct. The principle still stands, anyhow.

Nope, the smaller CdMs (Darwin 86, Nauta Air 90) are RINA certified within 24m LLL - even if LOA is well above, obviously.
  6. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Correct.

Darwin 86 -
    LOA - 26.04 m (85.4ft)
    Length - 23.99 m
    Hull Length - 22.87 m

Nauta Air 90
    LOA - 27.65 m (90.7ft)
    Waterline Length - 24.4 m
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

WHAT DOES ANY OF THESE BOATS MENTIONED HAVE TO DO WITH

"SPORTFISHING BOATS FOR CRUISING?"
    cognac, Liam and d_meister like this.
  8. Liam

Liam Senior Member

That is correct so if I caused the thread drift, I excuse myself.

Anyways I do think that Sportfishing boats can be excellent cruising machines with a couple of notes.

They are usually build heavier and stronger and are also wider length to length to similar sized yachts.
    Therefore at the pump an equivalent in size sportfish yachts will take from 10 to 30% more fuel. Depends to power and model.

A pure sportfishing machine might also need a few updates to make it a good cruiser.
    Like a bathing platform aft to name one of the few items, which a sportfish machine will not have.

Probably if you want a sportfish with cruise abilities one might look elsewhere, like a Maritimo or Riviera, and probably some of the later Bertram or Hatteras models which are cruiser friendly,
    and more of a medium core sportfishing machine.