Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

South Bay Style Strainer - Bonding Bolt

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Apr 8, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I've got a South Bay style strainer for my small gen. It does not have a removable screen. To clean or service inside it you have to remove the entire fixture. What I don't like about this is the one thru-hull bolt for the bonding wire. You have to remove this to remove the screen which means disturbing the watertight seal. And, of course, this go around the dang bolt broke off flush with the hull inside and out. Removing it was a PITA. Got me wondering what others have done to solve this issue and make it easier? The existing through hull bolt (machine screw technically) was a 10-24. So I opted to make the hole larger and use a 3/8-16 flathead bronze bolt bolted it in flush to the hull without the screen installed. I drilled and tapped a 10-24 hole in the center of the 3/8 bolt and will install the screen using a 10-24 into this bolt. This way future removal is a simple one person task with no need to disturb anything going through the hull. Anyone done anything else that works well? I could have replaced the fixture with one that has a removable screen but this seemed like a good solution. Time will tell I guess.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Question first; Have you had problems on the inside of your hull strainer?
    For the gen-set, not a scoop strainer,, rite ??

We never really had a gen-set pick up fouling issue.
    We use the round blister hull strainers and during one bad fouling season (all boat bottoms covered with bur-bur & shag carpet), injected BB * once. Not a clue if it helped or not.

I guess you can Inject BB * from the inside once or twice a season if you are having internal fouling problems.
    Your next winter in storage (I recall out of the water in a shed), install a serviceable hull strainer or go to a regular pick up and an inboard strainer.

* barnacle buster concentrate
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Have not had any problems on the inside of South Bay style strainer. There is also a full Perko bronze strainer on the inside, just after the valve. No issues there and rarely have to open it to clean it. We don't get much growth up here due to colder water. Only reason I removed the outside strainer is I needed to replace the sea valve and when I removed the valve I disturbed the 5200 on the thru hull so removed that to re-seal it. Of course, that's when I broke the bonding wire bolt.

Here's a few pics of the threaded bolt and the strainer back on. The slot head screw is what threads into the newly installed 3/8 thru-hull bolt.

Threaded Bronze Thru-hull Bolt.jpg Strailer Installed.jpg
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do like your bonding idea. Maybe some conductive grease (dielectric ?) to keep the electrical path flowing.

You know your boat best. I am only asking.
    Does that strainer offer any scoop action while running your boat with that gen-set not running?
    Are there holes in the back (right end in the picture) that lets forced water out and not up to the gen-set?

Our swamp ole school was to avoid any scoop action from these types of hull strainers on a gen-set;
    443004.jpg
    And use these;
    471856.jpg

Never forcing water up to a non-running gen-set.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One day, If I ever had a real problem, I would install one of these;
    141056.jpg
    After 20+ years, not been a problem.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

That particular strainer does not have the holes in the back of the scoop area. I have a few other ones like the round screens and smaller grate type style shown in your pictures. I’m unaware of any issues from water being forced into the gen but then again, this gen is almost always running if I’m motoring. I could certainly drill a few holes in the back of the scoop but again, not sure I have any issues here. What would be an indication or problem created from water being forced into the gen if it were not running while motoring? Even if water were forced past the pump wouldn’t it just go thru the heatX and exit the same as if it were running?
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Pretty much all gens have water lift mufflers which work with exhaust pressure to force the water out. This is why you should never crank a generator for more than a minute or so as you will fill the muffler and eventually send water up the exhaust manifold

same with any type of scoop. This one looks pretty flat and maybe doesn’t scoop much water but I wouldn’t take a chance

years ago I almost drown an NL20 because a couple of oysters had blocked the relief holes on the cover. We were running on the other gen and when I switched gen that night I discovered water in a cylinder. Caught it right away otherwise the motor would have been toast

needless to say I had a chat with my diver …